CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Starting failure after sitting in a parking lot

The Fred

Well last night the car was in a parking lot for a few hours,

When I first started it up it ran fine and ok but sputtered a little in the mickey d's drivethrough line and kept doing it ,

I thought maybe it was because it was morning,

So this evening I went out to start it and it doesn't start at all.. no codes at all either

I thought maybe someone stole the gasoline but the gage says I have gas and I have added some.. :unsure: I'm pretty worried about a no start with no codes :angry:

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

No codes means that none of the sensors is seeing anything amiss. That means that the fuel pump relay is working and the injectors are working, at least electrically. Without a misfire code and a total no-start situatin, I would suspect a fuel problem.

I would check for spark on one of the convenient (front) plug wires because it's so easy to do, and it eliminates no spark as the problem. Then, I would listen for the fuel pump when you turn on the key. If you hear that, then it seems to likely be the FPR.

Others here may have more experience with problems and chime in.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I'll check for spark this morning.. before it gets too light outside

I don't know where the fpr is or the fuel filter but maybe I can find 'em when it is lighter out

I don't remember if it usually is or not but the service engine soon light is on when I turn the ignition on (cranking or not) .. is that normal?

I also don't remember if the fuel pump usually sounds like it does now.. it makes two noises. I remember my older cads fuel pump making a single 2-4 second noise when I turned the key - this is making two noises it starts out low and gets a bit higher and is the same every time I turn the key

Bad gas? Maybe it sat for a while before you got it, or did you have to fill it up after you got it?

It was sitting for about five hours there

It ran a little rough 3 minutes after I started driving it and improved a bit on the way home

Gauge showed aprox 1/4 tank which would have been about right - I added 2 gallons last night

The car must have overheard me talking about the new owner

And my plan to deliver the car to him

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

I don't know whether the Check Engine light is supposed to be on after the key is turned, but I don't think so. Check for codes while it is lit.

If you crank the engine without touching the accelerator for several seconds and there is no gasoline smell at the tailpipes, you are not getting gas. If there is a strong smell of gasoline, you may have flooded it. Depress the accellerator to WOT and crank to clear the extra gas -- the PCM disables the fuel injectors for WOT below 1,000 RPM for just this purpose.

If it will fire when you spray engine starting fluid into the intake but won't keep running, you have a gas problem.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Thanks guys,

I went out and cranked on it for about ten minutes off and on

And it finally started after I shook the *smurf* end of the car and cranked it for awhile,

I think there was bad gas and when I mixed it with the gas I added last night it started - so I went and added some more and it seems fine and ok

I hope so anyway

If I couldn't bring the car down to that man today he would be disappointed

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

If it has some bad gas, it will be a new car after driving out what is in the tank and then a quarter tank of good premium fule on the highway.

Archived