CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

93 ETC MPG?

Online friend just bought a 93 ETC recently. He loves the car but has one problem. He told me he's getting no more than 14mpg on the highway. Average speeds of 65-70. Is this normal?? Also, he said he's running regular unleaded. Will this result in 14mpg?? Seems like it's a little low for highway driving.

IPB Image

Online friend just bought a 93 ETC recently. He loves the car but has one problem. He told me he's getting no more than 14mpg on the highway. Average speeds of 65-70. Is this normal?? Also, he said he's running regular unleaded. Will this result in 14mpg?? Seems like it's a little low for highway driving.

The 93' ETC should get an easy 19+ mpg, My 93' STS gets a consistent 19-21+ on the freeway, usually at or above 75 mph.

One cause for lower mileage is if you have an error message that states " Traction Control Off". This condition will cause the to car start in second gear. As the car has plenty of power, often the driver never realizes that the car is not taking off in first gear. If you drive a lot on the freeway it will tend to blend in and not be noticed, but if you do a lot of stop and go driving, you will notice it in a very short time.

Other conditions of course are making sure the car has a good set of AC Delco dual platinum plugs in it, and that the spark plug wires are still carrying the electricity without "leaking".

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

A bad catalytic converter will cause a loss in gas mileage before noticable change in performance. The ceramic core can crack, after which it breaks up, reducing flow. You might have that looked at.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

14 on the highway is no where near normal. He should be seeing mid 20's on the highway. Something is drastically wrong. Start by pulling the DTC's. Then check the FPR.

Archived