CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

00 DHS power seats acting up

Wud up Caddy guys and gals. I''m new here but I have a couple problems, maybe you can help.

I drive a 00 deville DHS with 80,000 miles.

First off my driver's side power seat quit working. The memory/exit feature work fine but I can't readjust the seat for anyone else. I also noticed that my steering wheel adjustment quit on me. Are they connected? Any help will be appreciated.

On long trips (over 2 hours) my gauges have been cutting out on me. Temp and fuel still work but everything else dies. They do stay lit up. Imagine driving 3 hours home with no idea how fast you're going. (Did I mention it was in the middle of the night?) I had it in to get fixed and the dealership said it was a loose wire. I find this hard to believe since it only happened on smoother highways and not during daily city driving. Furthermore after the car "cooled down" for an hour or so the gauges worked fine but it tripped the check engine light. I noticed that my odometer also stopped when this happened. Now I'm scared I bought a car with more miles than it reads. Have you ever heard of anything like this? PLEASE HELP ME! I love Caddys but I'm starting to regret buying one. I've only had the car since April and it's giving me a few problems.

Since I bought it I've lost a power window motor, crank position sensor, the above problems, and to top it off I went to put some "good sounding" exhaust on it and I was let down. Dynomax mufflers are quiet as crap = waste of money. Mellow rumble my *smurf*.

Please let me know anything you can. Plus how do you check the codes from the info panel?

Thanks.

There is a page here on how to check the codes on different models:

Reading Codes

What you are losing off and on is the Vehicle Speed Sensor, which is the electronic equvalent of the speedometer gear at the transmission end of the speedometer cable. On the Cadillac Northstar it is an electronic sensor on top of the right axle housing. You can see it and get your hand on it from beside the car if you turn the sterring all the way to the left. If you wiggle the connector on it, it should be fine.

What happens is that some coolant comes out of the overflow tank on the highway. The vent tube is about six inches above and in front of the VSS and coolant gets on the connector. When the water dries out of it, the antifreeze is not a conductor, and it can cause an intermittent bad connection. The key is to note that the tachometer still works, and that the only thing that stops is the speedometer.

If more than the speedometer stops, then you have a bad connection elsewhere in the electrical system, probably on the connector to the engine control module (ECM). Losing the crank position sensor is a red flag that you have a dirty connector on the ECM.

Get the codes and repeat them here. With the codes, we can do a lot to help you understand your car and its problems, and their solutions.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Brandon, post your codes here. Try not to be frustrated you have a 7 model year old car with 80,000 miles, you will need to work out the kinks.

Speedometer and/or Odometer Inoperative is covered in Document ID# 517298 for the 2000 Cadillac DeVille.

Here is the diagnostic procedure, as you can see LOOSE connections CAN cause your problem and since this Document was produced, its a KNOWN problem. DO NOT be concerned about the MILEAGE as you noted, the MILEAGE is unrelated to this issue.

Document ID# 517298

2000 Cadillac DeVille

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speedometer and/or Odometer Inoperative

1 Did you perform the Instrument Cluster Diagnostic System Check?

--

YES? Go to Step 2

NO? Go to Diagnostic System Check - Instrument Cluster

2 Turn OFF the ignition. Install a scan tool. Start the engine. Carefully test drive the vehicle.

Observe the Vehicle Speed parameter in the powertrain control module (PCM) data display.

Does the scan tool indicate that the Vehicle Speed parameter is the same as the speedometer?

--

YES? Go to Step 3

NO? Go to Step 4

3 Does the odometer operate properly?

--

YES? System OK

NO? Go to Step 7

4 Test the vehicle speed signal for the following conditions:

An open

A short to ground

A short to voltage

A high resistance

Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

YES? Go to Step 9

NO? Go to Step 5

5 Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the instrument cluster (IPC). Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

YES? Go to Step 9

NO? Go to Step 7

6 Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the PCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

YES? Go to Step 9

NO? Go to Step 8

7 Replace the instrument cluster (IPC). Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 9

--

8 Important, Program the replacement PCM.

Replace the PCM. Refer to PCM Replacement/Programming in Engine Control - 4.6L.

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 9

--

9 Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?

--

YES? System OK

NO? Go to Step 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document ID# 517298

2000 Cadillac DeVille

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived