CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Steering Rack Replacement

Caddyman

It is really necessary to lower subframe to remove / install the steering rack?

car is a 1994 SLS.

The FSM states to remove the rack unit, you must lower the subframe slightly, by looking at it on the lift, it may come out without doing that, has anyone done this before?

your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Alex

Caddyman,

What are/were the symptoms or problems you are experiencing to point in the direction of a new steering rack? I'm curious because i have some issues still in the front end. I still have knocking sound when i wiggle (jiggle) the steering wheel side to side.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Wasn't there some sort of TSB on the type of grease used in the steering shaft causing these type of noises? I seem to remember that Caddy had some issues with the slip joint in the steering shaft sticking, you can guess the rest. A freind of mine has a 2004 Silverado that had to go back to the dealer for the same thing. He said it jerked and bumped every time he hit a pothole. I expect there have been LOTS of steering racks changed due to mis-diagnosis of this problem (including mine before I owned the car) 1999 STS. I can't tell what year car you guys are talking about though.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

• 11 months later...

Here is my update on the steering wheel induced knocking sound. All the problems I've been having in the front end (slow left turn groaning and creaking, thud sound in the steering column at start up, play in the steering wheel, intermittent and erratic vibration at highway speeds, vibration that changed depending on the pitch of the road, uneven tire wear, floating sensation) are finally gone. Wow......what a difference! Feels like a new car again. One of the most satisfying and effective fixes.... second only to the phenolic spacer plate cleaning.

It's too early to make a call on the uneven tire wear (front tire) but considering that everything else was ruled out and every other problem was fixed with the new rack, it's an assumption I'm willing to stick my neck out for. I'm excited about driving the caddy again. Yeah Baby!

I started my own car blog in the members car section and will added issues and fixes as they happen or as I feebly try to recall them. It may be of use to some 93-94 owners. Thanks for reading.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I had a similar problem. The dealer replaced the 'intermediate shaft' under warranty. They said it was a common problem. Problem disappeared.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

did anyone answer the question of lowering the subframe?

I just got off the phone with Ken. The answer is Yes. The two rear subframe bolts have to be removed so the back end can be dropped about 4 inches.

As far as the intermediate shaft problem, I don't believe that was an issue in the earlier models.

"Burns" rubber

I had a similar problem. The dealer replaced the 'intermediate shaft' under warranty. They said it was a common problem. Problem disappeared.

This is interesting. I have chased this rattle ever since I bought this car. Under warrenty, many parts were replaced. It was only when I took a TSB to the dealer that they "Greased" the intermidite steering shaft and the problem was gone. For about a year. So I replaced the shaft at the dealer at a decent price but the f#@$!%ing rattle has been back for a long while. My guess is they never replaced it, greased it and charged me anyway. Sad thing is that dealer has since closed down. So I am stuck with the rattle for now. I plan on taking it to my new mechanic and get it replaced again and find out if it was ever replaced in the first place and then go hunting. :ph34r:

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Archived