CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NEW PROBLEM... TRANS

ok so all of a sudden i starten feeling this very hard shift/ or jerk when my trans shifted gears... i believe it started after an abs and traction light came on...and the dash read (service sys stability).... it felt almost like i had no motor mounts.... i let the car sit for a few and it went away... then it started again but this time the "service engine soon" light was on and the hard shifting was back. i turned it off and then back on and it went away.. but the engine light was still on... the car is sitting now imma try and see if the engine light and shift problem consists after a few hours.. any suggestions? please help thanks

ok so all of a sudden i starten feeling this very hard shift/ or jerk when my trans shifted gears... i believe it started after an abs and traction light came on...and the dash read (service sys stability).... it felt almost like i had no motor mounts.... i let the car sit for a few and it went away... then it started again but this time the "service engine soon" light was on and the hard shifting was back. i turned it off and then back on and it went away.. but the engine light was still on... the car is sitting now imma try and see if the engine light and shift problem consists after a few hours.. any suggestions? please help thanks

You seem to be experiencing an unusual number of "problems". While it can be challenging to use language to explain what is or is not working properly, there is a more precise method available to you.

Your car will display Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). Do yourself a favor and learn how to read them with these instructions

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Then you will be able to post the DTCs along with your narrative.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

You seem to be experiencing an unusual number of "problems". While it can be challenging to use language to explain what is or is not working properly, there is a more precise method available to you.

Your car will display Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). Do yourself a favor and learn how to read them with these instructions

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Then you will be able to post the DTCs along with your narrative.

sounds difficult but will try

Sounds like it can be an electrical issue. When I had low voltage, My tranny shifted hard, I had ABS/Traction warnings, and overall, the car ran like poop. I would recommend you check the charging system:

what are the volts reading on the DIC. If low, inspect/clean your battery terminals. What codes do you have - (search the board for the procedure). We'll all be ale to help you better when we have this info.

The transmission is operated by computer along with the engine. A lot of engine issues will cause the transmission computer in the PCM to go into a default mode. When it does this, the car is drivable and the transmission protects itself from harm from excessive slipping and whatever, but shifting is hard and the shift points are high, like an early 1950's Hydramatic. If the traction control isn't working, it will start off in 2nd gear, so it may not feel too harsh on takeoff but the shifts will still be hard. This does NOT mean that there is a problem with the transmission.

Running the codes is actually quite simple. I run my codes about once a week when I'm stuck on a long red light.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The transmission is operated by computer along with the engine. A lot of engine issues will cause the transmission computer in the PCM to go into a default mode. When it does this, the car is drivable and the transmission protects itself from harm from excessive slipping and whatever, but shifting is hard and the shift points are high, like an early 1950's Hydramatic. If the traction control isn't working, it will start off in 2nd gear, so it may not feel too harsh on takeoff but the shifts will still be hard. This does NOT mean that there is a problem with the transmission.

Running the codes is actually quite simple. I run my codes about once a week when I'm stuck on a long red light.

ok iam going to try the codes... thanks everyone

Sounds like it can be an electrical issue. When I had low voltage, My tranny shifted hard, I had ABS/Traction warnings, and overall, the car ran like poop. I would recommend you check the charging system:

what are the volts reading on the DIC. If low, inspect/clean your battery terminals. What codes do you have - (search the board for the procedure). We'll all be ale to help you better when we have this info.

I THINK THE VOLTAGE WAS 14.1 AND I GET CODE "ABS C1246 CURRENT AND ABS C1246 CURRENT" BUT ONE TIME I ALSO GOT A BUNCH OF OTHER ABS AND DIFFERENT COMPONENT PARTS CODES BUT THEY SAID HISTORY NEXT TO THEM

I THINK THE VOLTAGE WAS 14.1 AND I GET CODE "ABS C1246 CURRENT AND ABS C1246 CURRENT" BUT ONE TIME I ALSO GOT A BUNCH OF OTHER ABS AND DIFFERENT COMPONENT PARTS CODES BUT THEY SAID HISTORY NEXT TO THEM

Who has the "this button is not your friend" picture? (Turn off caps, it signifies yelling)

Jonah

Who has the "this button is not your friend" picture? (Turn off caps, it signifies yelling)

o sorry...

Archived