CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 sts door wind noise - door not flush..

BrendanNY

I left my driver's side door open and backed up a bit and the door was "bent" I guess a small bit forward. Once I get to 40mph, I hear crazy wind noise. no visible damage inside or out, but if I look at the door from behind, it isnt flush with the body and rear door. I would say approx 1/16 of an inch out.

My questions are as follows: 1 - can I fix this myself? 2 - If I get it fixed somewhere else what am I looking at in terms of cost? 3 - Any tips on seeing what the deal is with this non-flush door issue?

BTW - The passenger door has always done this noise, but not until around 75mph...

I REALLY need to take care of this as I only drove it around one day since this very minor incident, and it is driving me nuts!

Normally you can adjust it by moving the striker inboard just a hair. In your case you probably bent the door frame the hinge is bolted to. Doubt full you can fix that yourself. Cost, I would'nt even venture a guess.

If you do try it be very careful. Probably the best way to fix it would be to take it off at the hinges and work on it off the car. I would say that, if there was no physical damage to the outside, where the hinges attached is where it is bent. After you get it fixed you will have to be patient in readjusting the hinges. Only one way to tell what it will cost, go to the body shop for an estimate or two.

I had bad wind noise on my '97 STS, the key word here is "had".

There is a factory "striker" adjustment tool. I purchased one, $117 from the dealer, and it took about 15-20 minutes to adjust all four doors.

There was also a TSB on the door weather stripping on the front doors. At the top rear corner of the door opening the weather stripping doesn't stay in place, and the area of the door where it is supposed to hit isn't very wide. The TSB indicated the correction is to apply weather strip cement...

Not necessarily appropriate fixes for "damage", but worked for my wind noise.

• 9 months later...

I am having the same problem! Wind noise coming from the drivers door! I know the door is not alighned correctly from usage, but can I stop the wind noise any other way! I happens when I do over 50 and depends on which way the wind is blowing!

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Ya I know a guy with a 93 STS and his door does it to! Its weirdest thing only when were doin about 100 MPH though!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

BrendanNY,

This is just a suggestion, but it will work!

If you don't want to spend time & Money fixing this door and the only

thing that seems to matter is the wind noise...

Buy BLACK RTV and Vaseline, Petroleum jelly.

Smear the Vaseline in the painted area where the door seal is leaking.

Smear the RTV on the gasket, thick emough to fill the leak from the air

coming through. Close the door and let RTV cure. When you open the door,

the seal will be filled with RTV, but won't stick because of the Vaseline.

Air noise GONE!

my .02

The technicians who do warranty work for the factory substiute a # 40 torx for the the factory striker tool, and it's quite a bit less than $117. For what you need and the amount of use you'll get out of it, buy a cheapo one, and you can get cheapo large torx at many places.

You could try to adjust the striker. Also, you can use blocks of wood jammed in the are of the hinges while the door is open. Gently push on the door, in an attempt to ever so slightly bend it back. Go easy and pay attention to make sure that you're not crushing/bending anything that will be obvious.

Archived