CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Reman AC Delco Steering Rack, or new?

coolnesss

I need a steering rack on my 2002 ETC.

Rock Auto has a remanufactured rack by AC Delco for $272.00 , and a different reman for about double that. The one I'm looking at is marked as a wholesaler's closeout. It seems to have the same specs as the one for double, and has a part number one digit up from the other.

Does anyone have knowledge/experience of whether a remanufactured unit will work well in this instance?

The reman is described this way.

ACDelco Remanufactured Rack and Pinion Gears:

• Gears are remanufactured using 100% new, premium-grade seals and new bellows, boots and mounting bushings to help provide better durability and reliability
  • Proprietary sleeves are bonded and staked in place, locking it for safety
  • Proprietary micro-finish sleeving of valve housing
  • Shafts are centerless polished to OE specifications
  • Every shaft is centerless polished
  • Shafts are checked for straightness to .005" TIR
  • Every valve is "power flushed"
  • New O.E. Saginaw Teflon Rings

Rock Auto is a great source of parts and they will not knowingly carry parts that don't perform in the field. But, like any supplier, they must supply the cost-conscious buyer as well as the restorer and owner. They do have some deals on close-outs, though; I got new AC/Delco shocks and struts for my 1997 ETC at Monroe prices when they closed those out.

As for remanufactured assemblies, it depends on who does the remanufacture. If it's AC/Delco (or contracted by AC/Declo for dealer service, as this seems to be), that's a recommendation because it's made to live up to the Goodwrench warranty in dealer replacements.

The bullets you quote look very good. The one thing that I don't see there are the rack and pinion parts themselves.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

What is wrong with the existing rack? Replacing racks used to be common 30 years ago when the rack bores used to wear due to a design defect but not lately.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on the frequency of the shudder, it seems more likely CV joints or hub bearings, or perhaps one or both the bearings in the half-shafts. These are easy to look at and eliminate if they are good, though.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It could also be inner or outer tie rods. Inner tie rods are part of the rack but can be replaced if bad for less than the whole rack.

How many miles are on your car?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The shudder is low-frequency, harsh, and present only when the car is barely moving or if you turn the wheel while it's stopped. It's not machine-gun speed, for instance - and its intermittent, but getting more frequent. The shudder was observed by my mechanic standing outside of the car watching while I turned the wheel and made it happen.

It has 80k miles, but every day I have to turn around in a lock-to-lock situation, and we live in the hills, and the roads here are harsh.

It has a new right tie rod end, and both sides new sway bar links.

Thanks for this input, Gents!

Archived