CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cutter

Hello all I am a new to me cadillac owner. 2003 STS. I look forward to learning from all of you and hope this is a busy site. I have owned lots of cars but never a Caddy. So my first question. My STS is still under warrenty but will run out while I own it. I have priced GM package but with the kilometers I drive I would have ended up paying about $4000.00 for two more years coverage. I politely said NO THANKS. I realized there are a lot of electronics and repairs can be costly but $4,000.00 was just to much. Does anyone out there have a reccomendation of a company that offers after market warranty? Thanks in advance

Welcome to Caddyinfo.com; glad you found the site.

The 2003 STS is an excellent car. First, replace all the fluids, and check it over carefully to make sure you know what you have. Change the oil and coolant, check the transmission fluid. Don't let anyone flush anything, just drain and refill.

Check the onboard diagnostics. See http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Since it is under warranty, I would consider taking it in to the local Cadillac Dealer and ask them to do a complete 'physical' on it; let them know you're happy to pay for an hour of diagnostics even if they don't find anything. Ask them to print out a record for you of any past service the vehicle has had.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks Bruce:

Done, Done, and Done. Everything is up to date, drained, checked, and printout. It really is a new car to me. It has 70,000 kilos on it. The car was a lease turn in so I am the second owner. so far the only thing I fear is electronics going for a loop and costing me a fortune to fix. My last 6 cars have all been Japs so its been a long time since I owned a GM product. I have to say the Japanese cars a pretty well indestructable. However the best GM product I owned was a 1964 Olds Cutlass that I had for 26 years. I'm just thrilled to own the STS and hope I have many trouble free miles.

What do you think of purchasing an aftermarket warrenty?

Where in Canada are you located... If your a west coaster I can offer some advice on Dealer out here the Good, the Bad and the Ugly...

BTW... on my 02 I just said no to the Extended Warranty too..

2003 was the second to last year in Canada for this version of the STS. By this time GM had worked out all of the bugs on these cars, and If I recall correctly I think 2003 also received some engine upgrades too (steel crank in 2003?)

These cars are amazingly reliable (at least mine has be)there really is no need for the Warranty... Third party plans are a major crap shoot... Lots of issues regarding excluded parts and long term fiscal viability.

If you are the type who NEEDS an extended warranty in order to sleep at night buy the GMPP otherwise forgetaboutit.

Something else that is interesting about Canadian Caddies... In Canada, these cars came with FREE maintenance for the first 4 years... This is cool for two reasons

1) You can feel comfortable that there is a really good chance that the maintenance is up to date and

2) You only have to buy gas and wax for your new baby until next year sometime...

Enjoy your new car...

PS the Northstar is a high performance engine... USE IT!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I did'nt purchase a warantee when mine ran out. If I had I would have gotten $0 out of it. My problems came at 114,000 miles. (head gasket) By 03 that problem has been corrected. Bank the $4,000 that the warantee would have cost and use it as a repair allowance.

You should come out ahead.

I can't thank you guys enough. Its nice to know you think highly of my choice. I do love the ride and the 300 ponies although with the price of gas I must admit I don't bring them out of the barn often but when the wife isn't with me, me and the horses do have some fun. I do have some time before the warrentee on the car runs out.. so I'll have some time to see how the car performs reliability wise and go from there... but from you have told me i can tell you I'm feeling a lot more comfortable already..

Great site and i will be here often... thanks

By the way I'm from Eastern Ontario on the St. Lawrence River... thousnand Islands area... if you have never heard of 1000 islands.. give it a google... beauty spot

I like the GMPP warranty, but I don't know enough about any of the aftermarket warranties to recommend them. One thing you might try is call your Cadillac Dealer and ask the Service Manager if there are aftermarket warranty companies he recommends, and/or ones he would avoid.

I suspect he will not recommend any, but it is worth a try I guess to see if there are any that he sees a lot and are easy to work with for the Dealer besides the GMPP.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived