CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'96 Fleetwood AC problems

winglow

Hello,

Am new to list. Have '96 Fleetwood, 109k.

AC operates intermittantly. Charge seemed OK. Put test light on elec. connection to compressor, was on (calling for operation) but not spinning. Thought it was clutch. But went on road and it started going, pulled over, spinning, cold, no prob. So question is if clutch goes is it all of a sudden or gradual? In other words - is it really the clutch?

Found very helpful post with way to get dashboard codes or operational info on ac system. It must have been a different model. Does any one know the right 'button pressing' combo for '96 Fleetwood?

First correct answer gets ride underneath the Appalachian trail on a tugboat.

Thanks, Am hot.

It may be the clutch air gap is too wide - the next time the clutch won't engage, tap it with a rubber mallet inward (toward the rear of the car). If it engages, check and adjust the clutch air gap. You will need feeler gages, and the clutch installer/removal tool.

For the truble codes, simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER side of the temp rocker. After the segment check, -00 will be displayed. That is the "pointer". Pressing OUTSIDE TEMP will toggle between the pointer and the trouble code. Use the FAN UP/DN to increment/decrement the pointer.

Pointers -00 thru -04 contain the trouble codes. Current codes are two digits and history codes have three digits with a "1" as the first digit. The second and third digits are the trouble code. For example 32 would be a current code and 132 would be the same code although a history code.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It may be the clutch air gap is too wide - the next time the clutch won't engage, tap it with a rubber mallet inward (toward the rear of the car). If it engages, check and adjust the clutch air gap. You will need feeler gages, and the clutch installer/removal tool.

For the truble codes, simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER side of the temp rocker. After the segment check, -00 will be displayed. That is the "pointer". Pressing OUTSIDE TEMP will toggle between the pointer and the trouble code. Use the FAN UP/DN to increment/decrement the pointer.

Pointers -00 thru -04 contain the trouble codes. Current codes are two digits and history codes have three digits with a "1" as the first digit. The second and third digits are the trouble code. For example 32 would be a current code and 132 would be the same code although a history code.

Hope I'm doing this right.

Kevin (KHE) thanks for the tip (Whack to AC clutch) It worked. Now I'll have to buy the tool and get the step by step procedure.

One question. It comes on with high revs. Does the electro-magnetic clutch gain 'pulling power' with higher RPMs? If so does that confirm a clutch out of adjustment or warn?

Thanks again.

John

Measure the clutch air gap with feeler gages - it should be .020-.030". If it is greater than .030", the clutch coil does not have enough magnetic force to pull in the clutch plate. You'll need to adjust the gap with the installer/removal tool.

If the air gap is correct, try setting it near the minimum and see if it corrects the problem. If not, the problem could be a weak clutch coil.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

From John - Fleet96

Re; AC problems

Have trouble code 02 - 126

Does anyone know what that pertains to?

Or better, is there a location on this site that lists all ac trouble codes and what they mean?

Thank you, especially KHE, I'm learning a lot. I may still have to take it to the dealer but I want to know first what it is likely to be sure I can't or shouldn't fix it.

John

John,

Code 26 was not in my '93 service manual - it probably has something to do with OBD-I vs. OBD2. At any rate, your code 26 is a history code as it is prefaced with a "1" so it probably does not pertain to your current problem.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived