CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

transmission failure

Ludwig

When I shift to any gear higher than 1 and 2, to 3 or overdrive, there's a problem: There's a loss of "grip" and there's almost no acceleration despite high engine speeds.

I checked the trans fluid level but got different readings depending on the situation. There seems to be a less than normal fluid level, but no leak to be seen anywhere.

I'm afraid it's more than a fluid refill. Any ideas?

92 SevilleTS

Check your diagnostic codes by turning the Key on (engine off) then press the "off" and "warmer" buttons on the climate control panel until the message center lights up and starts flashing the codes. Write them down, they come up quick so be ready. When "PCM?" comes up your done, turn key off. Report back and we will decode them. Sounds like shift solenoids, cheap fix.

Check your diagnostic codes by turning the Key on (engine off) then press the "off" and "warmer" buttons on the climate control panel until the message center lights up and starts flashing the codes. Write them down, they come up quick so be ready. When "PCM?" comes up your done, turn key off. Report back and we will decode them. Sounds like shift solenoids, cheap fix.

Here's all the set codes:

E052, I052, A048, A050 - There was some engine overheating due to another (coolant flow) problem.

I found the transmission cooler lines were hot so there was atf fluid being cooled.

The problem appeared somewhere in the midst of an hour of driving. Now it's always there after gear 2 shifts to 3. Overdrive also works as long as it

chooses 1 or 2.

Here's all the set codes:

E052, I052, A048, A050 - There was some engine overheating due to another (coolant flow) problem.

I found the transmission cooler lines were hot so there was atf fluid being cooled.

The problem appeared somewhere in the midst of an hour of driving. Now it's always there after gear 2 shifts to 3. Overdrive also works as long as it

chooses 1 or 2.

Coolant flow problem could result in ATF overheat as well. How about ATF look/smell? Check the level then engine is hot and idling.

Sounds like B shift solenoid is always ON.

A B D1

- B D2

- - D3

A - D4 (od)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Grounded both A and B solenoids, and there was a click sound heard each time. So they seem to be at least "half" working.

Strange thing is, i couldn't produce any different gear despite grounding them during drive, and disconnecting their wires during drive. I eventually pulled the transmission connector entirely and found driving was still possible in 1, 2 (unsure which) and reverse gear.

Could it be the VCC or PWM solenoids failing?

Sounds like B shift solenoid is always ON.

A B D1

- B D2

- - D3

A - D4 (od)

What does it take to manually shift into D3 ?

I tried to set A and B solenoids OFF but gear was either D1 or D2. Does that mean one solenoid isn't working or is there another switch required for D3?

Archived