CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

bumper removal

davedog

Does anyone know how to remove the rear bumper on my 92 eldorado?

Or does anyone have a link with instructions?

I should be getting my car back from the body shop tonight, and I decided to save some $$$ to replace the peice of chrome that runs along the top of the bumper myself. I have been told that the whole bumper must be removed.

P.S. I'll get some before & after pics of my trunk lid up soon :D

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Should be pretty easy, just remove the wheel wheel skirts, any wiring that you may have, the 2 bolts that go through the bumper shocks, and pull it right out. The bumper is big and awkward to handle, so it helps if you have a friend help you. It should take no more than 1/2 an hour to do.

Document ID# 508590

1998 Cadillac Eldorado

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bumper Replacement - Rear Eldorado

Removal Procedure

Raise the vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

Remove the side marker lamp sockets.

Remove the 3 screws at the wheel opening that retain the fascia extension to the fascia.

Remove the 2 bolts (2) that retain the energy absorber (1) to the impact bar.

Remove the plastic fasteners that retain the fascia (3) to the impact bar (1).

Remove the impact bar (1) from the fascia (3).

Remove the 3 plastic rivets on each side that retain the fascia side moldings. Release the snap tabs and remove the moldings.

Remove the 2 plastic rivets that retain the center molding.

Release the plastic snap tabs from the inside of the fascia in order to remove the fascia center molding.

Remove the side marker lamp and the rear reflector.

Remove the molding insert, if needed.

Remove the heat shield (3).

Installation Procedure

Install the heat shield (3).

Install the side marker lamps and the rear reflectors.

Install the snap tabs in order to retain the fascia center molding.

Install the 2 plastic rivets in order to retain the center molding.

Install the snap tabs in order to retain the side moldings to the fascia.

Install the 3 plastic rivets on each side in order to retain the fascia side moldings.

Install the impact bar (1) to the fascia (3).

Install the plastic fasteners in order to retain the fascia (3) to the impact bar (1).

Install the bumper (3) to the vehicle.

Engage the fascia side retainers to the guide (4) on the fender.

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the 2 energy absorber bolts (2). Tighten

Tighten the bolts to 24 N·m (18 lb ft).

Install the screws at the wheel opening in order to retain the fascia extension to the fascia.

Install the side marker lamp sockets.

Lower the vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document ID# 508590

1998 Cadillac Eldorado

wow careldo, those are some detailed instructionc, that should make this a breeze, thanks so much to you & everyone for the input.

I've said it many times, but I will say it again, THIS BOARD ROCKS!

thanks again guys! :D:D:D

I can photocopy the pages from the 1992 Seville service manual which also includes the Eldorado and either scan them and e-mail them to you or mail them to you. It's your call.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

the instructions are great, but if someone could post pics that would help. Just got my car back, you can't even tell the trunk was hit! :D I'll post pics after I get the bumper finished. But that will have to wait untill tomorrow....maybe there will be some pics of how to do it by then.. *wink wink* *nudge nudge* lol

either way, thanks guys!

the instructions are great, but if someone could post pics that would help. Just got my car back, you can't even tell the trunk was hit! :D I'll post pics after I get the bumper finished. But that will have to wait untill tomorrow....maybe there will be some pics of how to do it by then.. *wink wink* *nudge nudge* lol

either way, thanks guys!

In the 1992 Seville service manual which also covers Eldorado, there are 9 pages for the section on BUMPERS. I can fax them to you if you have access to a fax machine or I can scan them and e-mail them to you. Posting them to this forum might not be an option.

Please let me know what you want.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Assuming your vehicle is a 1992, the images are different for the 1992. Similar, but there are differences that you need to watch out for.

http://www.geocities.com/girlperson2/1992s...radobumpers.pdf

You can download the 9 pages that I scanned from the 1992 Service Manual here. You will need Acrobat Reader to view the document.

http://www.geocities.com/girlperson2/1992s...radobumpers.pdf

You can download the 9 pages that I scanned from the 1992 Service Manual here. You will need Acrobat Reader to view the document.

Oops, it's not working.... :huh:

Actually, it won't work if you click the link from within the message, so instead, copy the link from within the QUOTE and paste it into your browser and it should work.

By the way....

Did the bodyshop who did the work advise you as to when you could wash and wax the car?

Some paints can be washed and waxed right away, however, some paints require a time period for them to "outgas" and settle.

Make sure you find out since waxing a car right away after it's been painted can be a problem if the paint requires a period of time to "outgas". Usually, the time period would be 2~6 weeks depending on weather.

Archived