CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Strut Replacement Time!

Hello out there! I have been puting this off for a while now; but believe it's time. :( I will not be doing the work myself, so I'm wondering if the Caddy dealership is my best/only option. The car is just squishing along the highway now with 165000 miles on it. :blink: I've had everything replaced under the hood over the past couple of years, so I plan to keep it till the tires fall off! :D Thanks in advance!

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

97 Deville 279,000 :yupi3ti:

Hello out there! I have been puting this off for a while now; but believe it's time. :( I will not be doing the work myself, so I'm wondering if the Caddy dealership is my best/only option. The car is just squishing along the highway now with 165000 miles on it. :blink: I've had everything replaced under the hood over the past couple of years, so I plan to keep it till the tires fall off! :D Thanks in advance!

Atlanta,

Need some more information...

No need to go to STEALER-Ship...

Do you have active or passive suspension?

How handy are you...?

jim

Theres many options for your struts. Rockauto has some regular struts for it and theres kits ava from places like arnots. Ask Mike (bodybyfisher) I hope he see's this hes currently doing hes !

Michael -

Jim,

I use to be handy until my back got the best of me... :o I still do minor things like brake jobs though. As far as active or passive suspension??? You've got me... I've had afew air lines pop over the years; and know I don't have a level ride system. By the time I get from Atlanta to Texas on trips, I look like a low rider!! Ha! That was my first sign the shocks were going. Granted I pack too much in the trunk,it starts bottoming out after a few hours of driving. How can I find out?

Mark

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

FYI- Called the dealership about parts and they don't offer them any more. "Not a good system" he said. They only install passive GM's; which he went on to say, Monroe and Gabriel(?) are equal in quality and much cheaper. I will buy them and they will install along with the electronic disabler package. $450.00 to install. Hope this info helps someone else...

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

$450 to install all four shocks is about normal for most shops

i chose arnott no installation problems i didnt have to cut off ears like mike straight forward plugs in no error messages 2yrs now still rides great

FYI- Called the dealership about parts and they don't offer them any more. "Not a good system" he said. They only install passive GM's; which he went on to say, Monroe and Gabriel(?) are equal in quality and much cheaper. I will buy them and they will install along with the electronic disabler package. $450.00 to install. Hope this info helps someone else...

My dealer doesnt offer a "disabler package" thats very interesting !

Michael -

my suggestion is buy the arnott shocks if u cant do the job yourself take it to a shop that does struts make sure they have an alignment rack give them a call first and see what they will charge and will they install your shocks

$450 to install all four shocks is about normal for most shops

i chose arnott no installation problems i didnt have to cut off ears like mike straight forward plugs in no error messages 2yrs now still rides great

Actually I didn't need to cut off the second ear on mine (Boston) as I thought I might. I will have the message however until I figure out the message. I am thinking of removing the damper valves and installing them at each wheel.. Other than the message, I have no complaint. I would love to know what they did on your 97 to suppress the message. Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks Mike, I would like to see that. For some reason, I think its only temporary but if you can find it I appreciate it, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

the arnott struts have a resistor solderd to the outside of the shock with a direct plug in to your harness

thats one of the reasons i went arnott glad i did especially after reading some of your previous posts

good luck

Trouble Shooter

by Karl Seyfert

April 2006. Owners of older vehicles may prefer cost-effective solutions when electronic suspension systems quit working as designed. Some OE manufacturers are only too happy to oblige.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rough Riding Caddies

Cadillac models from the early to mid-'90s are equipped with speed sensitive suspensions (SSS), and are prone to display the “Service Ride Control” message on the driver information center. I have worked on several of these vehicles, and they all seemed to have a I039 diagnostic trouble code, indicating an instrument cluster/speed sensor problem. I found an online Cadillac owners' forum and it looks like many owners are having this or similar problems. I recall reading something about disabling the suspension system to correct this. Is there a better solution to this problem than simply turning the system off?

Chet Ladyga

Millville , NJ

It is possible to diagnose these systems, but you'll need the necessary service information to get the job done. Code I039 is an SSS signal fault, indicating only that there's a problem with the system. The system has the ability to store several additional fault codes, which identify problems in specific areas and components of the system. These codes can be retrieved manually, or with a scan tool and the necessary software. We don't have the space here to cover the entire diagnostic process for each of these diagnostic codes, and refer you to your service information source.

A word of caution here. If you do decide to follow the diagnostic procedures outlined in the service information, your investigation may lead you to one or more faulty electronic struts. These parts are very expensive, when they're available, and they may cause the vehicle's owner to throw up his hands in dismay. It's a pretty tough job to get the owner of a vehicle that's at least 10 years old excited about spending thousands of dollars on it, even if it is a Cadillac. The electronic gizmos that were so appealing to the vehicle's first owner may not hold much allure for its second (or third) owner.

There's a less expensive solution to SSS problems, and it's one that's endorsed by the vehicle manufacturer. GM TSB 00-03-11-001, dated August 2000, details the factory-recommended procedures for the installation of “passive” struts to take the place of the original “active” electronic struts. The bulletin covers the procedures for several Cadillac models, as well as several Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Pontiacs from the same era. Refer to the bulletin for the complete list.

According to GM, installation of passive shocks/struts will result in handling characteristics equal to a like vehicle without the computer-controlled ride, with all other components such as tires, tire pressure, springs, etc., being equal. Installing four new passive struts will not extinguish the “Service Ride Control” message, however. If desired by the customer, the service indicator may be disabled after the installation of the four new passive struts, using the service procedures listed below. GM does not authorize this procedure unless four new passive struts have been installed on the vehicle. In other words, don't disable the monitoring system if the vehicle still has the original electronic struts in place.

Once the passive struts have been installed, the wiring harness going to each strut and/or shock assembly must be cut and taped, both under the hood and under the vehicle. What follows is a summary of the additional procedures for specific Cadillac models. Procedures for the other GM models are similar, and are covered in the bulletin.

For 1989-92 Allanté models with Speed Dependent Damping (SDD), adjust the BCM override value “BS08.” To do this, use the Warmer and Cooler buttons on the climate control driver information center (CCDIC) to decrease the BCM override value “BS08,” which is displayed when you enter the system, by 2. When the desired number is displayed on the CCDIC, it must be stored by holding the Elapsed Time and Fuel Used buttons until the new value flashes on and off. When it flashes on and off, the new value has been stored.

For 1991 Eldorado and Seville models with Computer Command Ride (CCR), set the BCM override value “BS09” to 0 by using the Warmer and Cooler buttons. Store this value by pressing the Econ button on the Climate Control Panel and the Instant Econ button on the Fuel Data/Driver Information Center for about five seconds. The new value will be stored even though the indicator does not flash.

Remove the key from the ignition, then disconnect both battery cables. When both cables have been disconnected, touch the ends of the cables together and hold for five seconds. This will discharge the capacitors in the system and allow the system to perform properly when the battery cables are reconnected. Advise the customer he'll have to reset all radio stations and the clock.

For 1992 Eldorado and Seville models with SSS, observe and record the IPC override “IS08” displayed value. Use the climate control Cooler button to decrease the value displayed for “IS08” by 8. To store the new value, press and hold the Econ and Front Defrost buttons until the new value flashes on and off.

The installation of a relay and modification of the wiring harness are required on 1993 Eldorado and Seville models with Speed Sensitive Suspension and the 4.9L engine. The relay is GM Part No. 12193601 and the connector is Part No. 15306045. Use this procedure for these models only. Cut circuit 1020 (pink). Attach the instrument panel cluster (IPC) side of circuit 1020 to relay pin 87A. Attach the module side of circuit 1020 to relay pin 86. Run a ground wire to relay pin 30. Run a wire from a switched ignition (hot in Run) source to relay pin 85.

For 1991-1993 De Ville models with Computer Command Ride, cut circuit 1300 (dark green wire) at the CCR module (pin C15) to disable the indicator lamp. Tape the wires back into the harness to prevent shorting to other components.

The installation of a relay and modification of the wiring harness are required on 1994-1995 De Ville models with SSS and the 4.9L engine. Locate and cut circuit 370 (red). Attach the IPC side of circuit 370 to pin 87A of the relay. Attach the module side of circuit 370 to pin 86 of the relay. Run a ground wire to relay pin 30. Run a wire from a switched ignition (hot in Run) source to relay pin 85.

IF YOU GO TO THE WEBSITE LOOK FOR THE APRIL 2006 ISSUE UNDER BACK ISSUES !

http://www.motor.com/

MICHAEL -

Archived