CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NOS FOR THE N*

ThisoneSTS

I have a 50 shot universal nos kit and i was thinking about trying it out on my STS. First question would the N* be damaged if i feed it a 50 shot system? i have a half full bottle and i kinda want to clear it. it use to be for my import but now thats gone, you guys think it would do any harm on the N*? any imput would be welcome. thanx

Reggie

Too many variables. The nitrous will NOT make the NS last any longer, but a correct installation of a 50hp shot should not crater the engine.

Would be nice to hear 0-60 times before/after though.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Long term, NOS is not generally a good idea on *any* engine, but since the Northstar was built to be a self-contained awesome engine, adding NOS is going to be pretty damaging in the long-run. One or two times isn't going to hurt anything, though.

>"but since the Northstar was built to be a self-contained awesome engine, adding NOS is going to be pretty damaging in the long-run. "<

I'm sorry, I'm not following your reasoning. Could you explain the engineering logic there?

I'm a believer that with the correct installation, maintinence and the right heat range spark plugs. This North* motor and many other designs will last a good long time with a nitrous booster.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

i think i will squeez once or twice take it to the illegal runs..what you think folks? install will take about 30-45 mins depending on TV shows thats on..LoL.. let me know and i will post the 0-60 and maybe videotape the run.. holla back

Reggie

Reggie, I understand that with NO, you really need to add more fuel to the mixture to keep the engine from detonating. That, and/or retard the timing quite a bit. I might not be correct there, but that's what I understand. How do you plan to address this? Unless you can get a kit that will interface with the Cadillac computer to command more fuel or less spark advance, I really think you run the risk of some expensive damage to your engine. The Northstar is a 10.3:1 compression engine -- fairly stout and it's already recommended for premium fuel for a 93-99 model. I'd be weary of installing a universal kit that may not have the provisions to address the fuel/spark issues that NO brings to light.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

10.3:1 huh i have the injectores for that ratio.. through the air intake assembly the problem is that i have to drill a hole to the arm.. they sell after market intakes for this model maybe ill just get one of them and use that for the nos run.. and as far as fuel concerns, it wouldnt be a problem because this is a fog system.. meaning its a mist of NOS instead of the liquid.. the diffrence in performance and wear and tear problems are huge. i had this system on a 00' civic Si same ratio well close the diffrence is .3 and with only it being a 50 shot it wouldnt be a big problem..i think. and as for the injection method it would be going in through the air intake system.. from what i know it would match the fuel/air mixture so that it wouldnt fawk with anything major.. this system is not a direct injection.. i think thats what you are talkin about.. anyways i might try it, i just need to research more about the N* it self i dont know much so i got a lot of reading to do.. if anyone knows about nos on the N* pls reply any comment would be welcome

Reggie

Well, with the "proper installation", I'm sure you could mount a large dildo in an engine valve and it would still run fine. I was simply assuming that if you just attached a NOS system to an engine that was basically built to contain only the parts it came with (in general), NOS would rip up your system pretty bad without re rationing the fuel, your engine will not only explode, but you run the risk of blowing the head gasket and ruining some tubing. This just sounded like a do-it-yourselfer or a bring-it-to-the-garage-your-friend-owns-but-since-he's-not-getting-paid-he-won't-do-a-good-jobber, and if that's the case, NOS is not a good idea for pretty much any engine, let alone one that is going to need more fine tuning then say, a (******, might I add) VTEC in a Honda.

.. if anyone knows about nos on the N* pls reply any comment would be welcome

Reggie

VERY important...COLD spark plugs, even cold racing plugs are an absolute.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

may i say to the "Shiety" honda you talk of smoked lots of Camero ss.. but thats not the point.. dont get me wrong love that little import.. but on the v8 is a diffrent, granted, its a whole diffrent arena and what do you know about my friends? are you speaking out of exeriance? from your frirends? and you obviously you dont know CRAP about NOS.. nos is very effective when used right.. 50 shot nos is what im talking about fool.. not like 100 or a 150 shot.. and this is a fogger system.. do you even know the diffrence? i think you should fully research what you speak of befor you talk.. it makes you look stupid.. did you read what i mentioned the injection that will regulate the nos flow, therefor i dont need the bigger fuel supply.. didnt mean to step on someones toes but think befor you post..

this system is not a direct injection.. i think thats what you are talkin about..

Yeah probably. Are you talking about installing a fogger plate, like after the throttle body? That mixes the fuel and the NO together? I think I understand what you're talking about.

Thanks,

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Before you call anyone a "fool" take into mind that we're all here just trying to be friendly and help you. Yes, I do know a lot about NOS, and if it's not installed properly on *any* level, you're going to have trouble, so I stand by what I said.

k2k i was just a little offended of what you said about my friends that they "wont-do-a-good-jober" i dont take people talkin smak about my friends very lightly.. so thats why i got a little offended.. and as far as my "shiety honda" well it can smoke your "nice STS" anyday.. and oh yeah friendly? in regards to friendly everybody else has been friendly, maybe because of the delivery of your post.. and you speak of "knowing alot about NOS" if you know about nos then you would know that nos would work with the proper engine not just "any engine" fawk you can put a 50 shot nos in a geo and not mess it up.. we've tried it.. pls explain to me what a fogger system is and the diffrence between wet and dry nos.. and elaborate for us the diffrence between a automatic injection and manual injection system with the intricacy of both systems.. thanx..

Let's go back to discussing how much fun the NS might be with another 50 hp, even if only for a few seconds. Also interesting to hear how much trouble installation is; looks like most installs put the bottle in the trunk and run the lines along the rails and through the firewall into the engine, spraying I suppose between the airbox and the throttle. Will a 50 hp system for a honda be a 75 hp system for a V8?

Coincidentally, almost every magazine article I have read lately where they put on a nitrous system and tested, they managed to grenade the engine. Mostly I think from the some is good more is better mentality.

Although colder plugs are recommended, most references do agree that most normally aspirated engines can tolerate a small nitrous charge very well with no modifications. You only need to build up a stronger nitrous engine if you plan to significantly change the power.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I was not saying you have bad friends... I was saying that perhaps not all your friends are qualified mechanics capable of installing a Nitrous system with no repercussions.

And yes, you can install NOS on a geo without messing it up, but you can also install it on a geo and mess it up?

And as for a Honda vs. a Camaro, stock vs stock, no way. And if for each upgrade done to the Honda, another is done to the Camaro, I still think there's really no way on earth the Honda will come out on top.

A fogger system, in essence, ensures that there will be an equal amount of nitrous flowing into each cylinder, preventing a giant shot of NOS suddenly or an overload of fuel. A wet NOS system is s when the NOS is activated and spraying the system sprays a matching amount of fuel through the nozzle with the NOS to make it more accurate. Dry is when the system uses a vacuum to adjust the fuel pressure and use the cars injectors to spray the fuel in accordance with the amount of NOS pouring into the system.

And automatic is when the NOS comes in on WOT? And then manual would of course mean you have to do it yourself.

And as for the intricacy, I have no idea what you mean.

I think 75 HP is pretty loose when it comes to the actual on-road performance boost, but it will be up there. From what I've seen the on-street results to align themselves heavily with the scientific predictions "they" make.

very cool.. a few details missing but all good.. anyways ive made up my mind about the nos cause i dont need to fawk with the caddi.. im just going to get a bike.. Suzuki GSX750!! this tuesday.. that way ill have the cadi for the "pimp ride" and the bike for the "croch rocket" smoke anything on 4 wheels ride..LoL.. didnt mean to down you K2K.. you know how it is.. mah bad.. hope no bad blood between us.. anyways ill post the bike along side my STS when i get it..

reggie

Archived