CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Do you know which are the HEAVIEST Cadillac Rims?

cardio-doc

Just got back from a huge pick-up of about 140 wheels from a Cadillac dealer in the South. Alot of the stuff will be a bust, maybe even losing a little but I had to take the whole lot for the gems therein.

But I've had the pleasure of single-handledly loading, unloading, cleaning/prepping and inventorying all those wheels. In there, I had to take a set of four wheels, that definitely takes the cake in the fugly department. These wheels fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down - Eesh. Specifically - they are the 17" Catera Sport wheels. I have to tell you - I personally handle or have handled alot of Cadillac wheels and Hummer H2 wheels as well. Hummer H2 wheels are really heavy - I think 45 lbs each. Ready for this? Those 17" Catera Sport wheels - weigh more. I couldn't believe it but trying to carry two at a time was just too much. I have to weigh one (for shipping purposes) but I know they weigh more. Just what those poor little Catera's needed - THIS KIND of rotating mass.

I'll probably put the four of them up starting at $50 no reserve - but shipping will be $100.

~Doc

Doc, as far as you know, the CTS wheels will fit the Sevilles and other FWD GM bolt patterns, but the Catera wheels are different, if I understand correctly, is that right?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hey Cardio -- any chance you could pickup a fish scale at walmart and do a report on what each style of Cadillac wheel actually weighs? You can also just use a people scale, weighing Cardio Doc alone then holding a wheel. Make a nice article.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hey Jason~

All CTS wheels have the same bolt pattern and offset as FWD Cadillac's (except Cimarron). Very nice of Cadillac to make that common between so many FWD Cadillac's and the RWD CTS - I'm not complaining ;)

Catera wheels are on their own. Bolt pattern is 5x110mm I believe. I think they fit some Opal models and maybe a Volvo?:huh:

For the record - there was an offset change - on 1998-up Seville models and 200-up Deville models - putting those wheels on earlier cars results in the wheels sitting .4 inches in. Put another way - the hubs are .4 inches further out on the later models. Not a problem nor noticeable change in handlings, and frankly very desirable for anyone putting late-model wheels on Deville's with skirts (94-96) and FWD Fleetwood models from the early 90's with really tight skirts.

Bentham - you're the one that bought some 'bright finish' CTS wheels very inexpensively, correct? That is a very fragile finish to handle. I've passed over alot of those wheels where the spokes were marred. If yours are - you can try some metal polish (Mother's) to bring it back up. But you got a great buy on those - less than I pay.

Bruce - good show. I'll prepare a chart of wheel weights. I've never had so many wheels as now - I think I have about all of them. I'm amazed how much disparity there are in what these things weigh. And you know unsprung weight is a performance-killer - acceleration, braking and fuel economy. Switching from those very heavy wheels on an STS in 92/93 to say- late-model CTS wheels which are very light- you'll make up the cost of the new wheels in fuel economy alone! The upgrade in looks is a free bonus!

happy trails,

~Doc

And you know unsprung weight is a performance-killer - acceleration, braking and fuel economy. Switching from those very heavy wheels on an STS in 92/93 to say- late-model CTS wheels which are very light- you'll make up the cost of the new wheels in fuel economy alone! The upgrade in looks is a free bonus!

True -- not to mention the ride quality, which might be the first thing you notice. When I went from OEM steel wheels to OEM aluminum wheels on my '84 Cutlass, it felt like a different car. I imagine the difference in weight there was 25-50%. Less unsprung weight means the dampers don't have to work as hard.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived