CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

direct connecting sirius to factory radio

confusion

The fm transmitter on my sirius sattelite radio gets a lot of interference. I have a cord that will plug from the sirius to input jacks on certain stereos. My stereo is the factory on with a cassette deck and built in equalizer. I've been playing the sirius with an adaptor, through the casstte deck. It's a bit irritating because for some reason playing it this way makes one of the speakers buzz. Is there an easy way to hook the sirius radio directly to the back of the factory stereo? The vehicle is a 92 sedan devile :unsure:

The fm transmitter on my sirius sattelite radio gets a lot of interference. I have a cord that will plug from the sirius to input jacks on certain stereos. My stereo is the factory on with a cassette deck and built in equalizer. I've been playing the sirius with an adaptor, through the casstte deck. It's a bit irritating because for some reason playing it this way makes one of the speakers buzz. Is there an easy way to hook the sirius radio directly to the back of the factory stereo? The vehicle is a 92 sedan devile :unsure:

Where did you run the ant ? Does it go through the back seat area ? there was a thread a while ago how the suspension comuter makes a high pitched scream fuzz sound in it . Do you have it set high ? like i had to change mine from 90 something up to 107.5 then that helped. However I still havent moved my Ant from coming in to the trunk. It has that built in look with it in the garage under the heater. Its great, but I'm still not really sold on XM Radio. I have had it on my AOL 9.0 for sometime and like it in the office but it doesnt do it for me in the car.

Michael :D

Where did you run the ant ? Does it go through the back seat area ? there was a thread a while ago how the suspension comuter makes a high pitched scream fuzz sound in it . Do you have it set high ? like i had to change mine from 90 something up to 107.5 then that helped. However I still havent moved my Ant from coming in to the trunk. It has that built in look with it in the garage under the heater. Its great, but I'm still not really sold on XM Radio. I have had it on my AOL 9.0 for sometime and like it in the office but it doesnt do it for me in the car.

Michael :D

I have the antenna on the dash. The reception is fine. The buzz in the speaker comes from the cassette adaptor. I know some stereos have a plug-in to directly connect stuff to them. I was just wondering if my factory stereo has one. The FM transmitter doesn't do well. My system can only transmit 88.1,88.3,88.5,88.7. Often these frequencies have a slight radio signal going to them. When this happens, I get a bunch of static. So, the frequency transmitter isn't really much good in my car.

Mack,

I have a similar Sirius setup but only use the FM transmitter. There is never any buzzing, but at times a strong local station will over-ride and the sound quality would probably improve.

I plan to run the twin RCA plugs from the Sirius radio back to the main amp in the trunk. There are probably some inputs on the main amp for a CD-changer/Aux. And then there is the potential problem of not beng able to select that input... This project may call for a test before running the wires.

However, I'm not certain about the input level (voltage) for CD-changer/Aux as opposed to the signal from the Sirius radio.

Good luck

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Thanks for the input guys. TDK you may try turning the audio output all the way down on the sirius unit. I think I remember something about not running an amplified signal through an amplifier. Just a thought.

On my car the radio antenna is in the windshield and is connected to the radio by a small button at the top of the w/s.

While in the Wash DC area I couldnt find a clear channel for the FM transmitter. After unpluging the antenna I had lots of clear channels to transmit to.

On my car the radio antenna is in the windshield and is connected to the radio by a small button at the top of the w/s.

While in the Wash DC area I couldnt find a clear channel for the FM transmitter. After unpluging the antenna I had lots of clear channels to transmit to.

Great idea. I'll try that.

I just had to order a passenger window switch from the dealer and they asked for the VIN so I had the manual in the house and thumbed through it as I waited for the parts dept. I found something that MAY help. (In the manual of all places)

There is a bypass feature on the tape player for useing insert adaptors.

1. Turn ignition ON

2. Turn radio OFF

3. Press & hold SOURCE button for two seconds. Tape symbol on the display will flash three times.

4. Insert adaptor. ( you have to do this each time after ejecting the adaptor.)

Just thought I'd pass it on.

Interesting Bill, I doubt that works on my dinosaur but that is good to know. I have gotten horrible range (it sounds like there are no highs) when I use a cassette adapter in my factory unit.

I am about to hook up a trunk mounted Sony CD Changer and the and it connects in line with the factory antenna. The changer has a bunch of FM channels it will broad cast on, so I am hoping to get a clear channel that won't elicit interference with FM stations.

Mack, have you considered that the cassette adapter has a problem, have you tried it in another cassette to see if it creates noise there also? The noise that Michael is talking about was in a newer car, I think it was a 96, the suspension is different and I think it would happen in both channels. I have a really bad AM radio (540 to about 1000) buzzing noise that begins at 6 MPH from the suspension. Sitting still reception is good, once I hit 6 MPH, the static makes listening impossible. I listen to 770 AM during the day from 12 to 6 and its impossible at times to listen.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Interesting Bill, I doubt that works on my dinosaur but that is good to know. I have gotten horrible range (it sounds like there are no highs) when I use a cassette adapter in my factory unit.

I am about to hook up a trunk mounted Sony CD Changer and the and it connects in line with the factory antenna. The changer has a bunch of FM channels it will broad cast on, so I am hoping to get a clear channel that won't elicit interference with FM stations.

Mack, have you considered that the cassette adapter has a problem, have you tried it in another cassette to see if it creates noise there also? The noise that Michael is talking about was in a newer car, I think it was a 96, the suspension is different and I think it would happen in both channels. I have a really bad AM radio (540 to about 1000) buzzing noise that begins at 6 MPH from the suspension. Sitting still reception is good, once I hit 6 MPH, the static makes listening impossible. I listen to 770 AM during the day from 12 to 6 and its impossible at times to listen.

Thanks for that tip. I'll see if I can do Bill's tip. If that doesn't work I'll try another adaptor.

I have a 93 deville readio non-bose out of the car (replaced with after market with built in sirius) and it does not have direct inputs. I do not have a buzz in the speakers. If this is a bose unit you could also have an amplifier on one of the speakers going bad.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the help and advice. I disconnected one of the power antenna jacks in the trunk. Now the antenna stays down. The fm transmitter works perfectly. The buzz is gone...You guys are awesome!

Archived