CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dead '01 STS help please

typhoon

For some reason my battery drained down to nothing. I charged up the battery. When I started the car the gas gauge does not work, the temp gauge does not work, the ABS light is on, the airbag light is on, the info on the DIC is all missing, like the outside temp, tire air pressure etc. There are no codes found with my OBDII reader. Any ideas? I tried starting the car about 6 times but all this stuff is still not there.

Thanks

Typhoon

2001 STS with NAV

1994 BMW 850Ci

1993 GMC Typhoon

1988 Fiero waiting for a Northstar

1988 Toyota Supra Turbo "slightly" modified

For some reason my battery drained down to nothing. I charged up the battery. When I started the car the gas gauge does not work, the temp gauge does not work, the ABS light is on, the airbag light is on, the info on the DIC is all missing, like the outside temp, tire air pressure etc. There are no codes found with my OBDII reader. Any ideas? I tried starting the car about 6 times but all this stuff is still not there.

Thanks

First thing that I would do would be to find and eliminate the problem that caused the battery to go dead. It could be a glove compartment light or someone could have left a reading lamp on.

Next, I would check the battery and the cable connections. After the car has sat for a couple of hours, check the batter voltage. If it is below 12 volts, it is time for a replacement. In fact I would have the battery capacity checked anyway. Some batteries never seem to fully recover from being totally dead. Especially if they have any age on them.

Check the battery cable connections. A less than perfect connection at the battery has been known to cause all kinds of strange problems with the computers in these cars.

If the battery is OK, I would suggest disconnecting it for a few minutes. Hopefully it will reset the computers and all your electronic problems will go away.

Take Care and Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

Sounds like the battery went bad to me. These cars have a computer which disables certain circuits as battery voltage drops. It starts with the least important stuff first, like the dash lights and the gas guage, and active suspension, in an effort to keep power to the ignition. This is so you don't get stranded, and is an important aspect of how GM can really get something right in their designs. As already posted, have your battery tested along with your battery cables, either one can reduce voltage available to the computer, starting the "cascading shutdown" scenario.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived