CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

P039 Code 94' Deville

caddyfan13

I am confused. Code P039 will appear. I turn my caddy off and it will not appear for a few days. When it check engine light appears, I go into diagnostic mode and it calls out P039. Again I turn my car off and the check engine light turns off. Restart and it does not come on for 4-5 days. Any thoughts?

I am confused. Code P039 will appear. I turn my caddy off and it will not appear for a few days. When it check engine light appears, I go into diagnostic mode and it calls out P039. Again I turn my car off and the check engine light turns off. Restart and it does not come on for 4-5 days. Any thoughts?

My FSM says P039 for the 4.9l is: Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Engagement Problem

Not sure what you'll need to do to fix that. Someone else will chime in I'm sure.

I've had that issue with my Eldo for a long time. It's expensive to fix (involving removing and opening up the transmission) but it usually isn't life threatening.

When the car is cruising the torque converter clutch locks up to eliminate any torque converter slippage, thereby improving milage. On older transmissions under certain conditions, the clutch will slip and set the P039 code. When I get a check engine light, I pull the codes. It's always the P039. I just clear it and go on. It doesn't cause me any problems and it is certainly not worth the money to get it fixed.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

You probably have to live with it since the repair may be very costly. The fuel economy will drop though. Many owners of 4.9 drive like that until tranny goes to south eventually. The 4.9 engine is very reliable and will last forever. I cannot say the same about the transmission. If you ask former owners of 4.9 or 4.5 what made them junk the car they will most likely say transmission. Those who really loved their cars went thru two-three transmissions with original engine.

To make sure the tranny does not lock up when it is supposed to you can maintain constant 50 MPH with your foot on gas pedal and tap slightly the brake pedal with your left foot just enough to engage brake switch. If your TCC works properly you will notice 150-200 RPM jump on your driver information center. If it does not happen your TCC does not lock up.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Yup, like the guys say, it's not worth repairing. My '95 has been doing it for several years with no ill effects. Not much effect on mileage either. The tcc is filled with silicon fluid which leaks out and reduces the effectiveness of the lockup.

Archived