CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Which year did they make the better changes to the Northstar?

Thinking about picking up a '98 to '02 Seville STS. I used to have a '92 STS (4.9 Pushrod) and a '99 Deville Northstar...but sold them both. Miss them dearly though, anyway I read on the board here a few times that Caddy made some improvements or significant changes around 2000 or 2001 or so, so I was wondering which year to try and move towards for reliability. Thanks guys!! My '92 had 160k miles, and Deville had 110k miles...both good cars! I really need to get me an STS for sure!

2000 is when they lowered compression from 10.3-1 to 10.0-1 to allow for regular fuel. They also went to COP (Coil On Plug) ignition (no more pesky ignition wires). They added roller finger followers and I think they lengthened the head bolts for better head gasket reliability.

I also believe several "external" accessories were incorporated into the engine. - no more external power steering pump & stuff - its now part of the overall engine.

What year / model are you referring to? My '04 has an "external" power steering pump.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Ranger:

"They added roller finger followers"

Just curious, what the hell are those?

Thanks

--Ben

A picture is better than.....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Ranger:

"They added roller finger followers"

Just curious, what the hell are those?

Thanks

--Ben

The roller finger followers are installed in the Northstar Ultra-Message engine. The engine was made with 3D Depth Technology, Multi Directional Dual Action, 2 Directional Kneading, and True Hand Measure Stroke Length displacement. The result, the most quite, comfortable and advanced ride yet. ;)

2000 is when they lowered compression from 10.3-1 to 10.0-1 to allow for regular fuel. They also went to COP (Coil On Plug) ignition (no more pesky ignition wires). They added roller finger followers and I think they lengthened the head bolts for better head gasket reliability.

A guy I work with has a 2000 Deville that has a watercooled altenator that had to be replaced at 35,000 miles. It was very expensive and exclusive only to the 2000 model, if I remember right.

A guy I work with has a 2000 Deville that has a water-cooled alternator that had to be replaced at 35,000 miles. It was very expensive and exclusive only to the 2000 model, if I remember right.

2000 was the last year for water cooled Alternators... 2001 and newer do not have this "feature"; earlier models do.

Head bolts were lengthened and the pitch of the threads were changed again in '04 and the cranks were upgraded to forged units in preparation for supercharging...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

A guy I work with has a 2000 Deville that has a watercooled altenator that had to be replaced at 35,000 miles. It was very expensive and exclusive only to the 2000 model, if I remember right.

My daughters '99 has a water cooled alternator (that I sincerely hope outlasts the car). I cannot vouch for any other years.

Archived