CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Jacking up the STS

ted tcb

Great weather yesterday, so I put my summer tires and chrome rims back on.

I missed the jack point on the front passenger side of the frame, and popped out my

rocker panel and bottom of the fender.

Looking at the driver's side, someone else has done the same thing. The metal edge or

lip should be straight, but you can see where it was pounded back in place on the driver's

side.

Off I went to my body guy this morning, who removed the rocker panel and pounded

the metal lip back in place so that the bottom of my fender would sit flush again.

Of course, two of the clips broke on the rocker panel, and we scrounged to find

replacements.

Repair took about 20 minutes, and cost me $20 bucks, and the car looks perfect.

Basically, I was told that next time, try to get the jack under the frame ... he said the caddy

dealer has sent a few STS's in with popped fenders from people placing their jacks under

this lip which is in the cutout area of the rocker panel.

Anyone else have a problem by jacking up the car carelessly?

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

The cut-out area that is in the rocker panel is where the jack is supposed to go. That is why the cut-out is there. Now is it possible that you missed this spot, and caused the damage? If you get the slot that is built into the jack, into that cut-out, no damage will occur.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Yeah, I caught the cutout, but part of the jack must've sat on the edge of the rocker panel.

I won't make that mistake again ... scared the heck out of me when my fender popped

out at the bottom.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I haven't, but my dealer has. Tech threw it up on the lift for an oil change and missed the jack point at the right front corner. Brought it back the next day after I noticed the fender was bulged out, and the service manager had it fixed free of charge. Even offered to by me lunch.

Well, somebody did on mine, but the damage was easily repaired and painted by me. It actually looked more like somebody ran over a Honda Civic.....or a curb. :D

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived