CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

water leak

leak on drivers side after car is parked cant tell if its lower hose or waterpump its not a preasure leak and the car is not overheating any expert help would be welcome

The water pump cover is know to leak, enough that the gasket was redesigned. Remove the intake ducting and run your fingers along the bottom of the cover to see if there is any coolant present.

Ditto on Ranger's comment.

My '02 Deville had a leak I could not find. It did not leak while the car was hot, only after it had cooled down overnight. Leaked about a 1/2 cup or less.

Still under warranty, so off to the dealer. Per the service bill, had a warped water pump cover.

havent had a chance to take a real good look but it sounds like u guys have pin pointed the problem if it is the cover or cover gasket is it a hard or costly repair thanks

No, easy and cheap. Gasket is about $10 from the dealer. Move the intake air ducting out of the way and access is easy. Shouldn't take more than :30.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont believe this as soon as the outside temp dropped and i havent been using the ac it seems to have stopped leaking i still think u guys are right ill keep u posted thanks

cadillac says that u must replace the cover and gasket and themostat gasket if it has not been done before

• 3 weeks later...

update parts came in new cover and gasket new therm hsng gasket i also ordered a new cap $46.00

took off air cleaner couldnot find leak ran engine till hot watched while it cooled down the only thing visable is a dark spot where the thermostat hsng mounts to the cover but no water leak everybody looking at this is scrating their head as i am so far it has stopped leaking for the moment

i had to fill the resevoir 3 times so far its driving me nuts any more advice i would like to be sure where the leak is befure i fix it

You have the parts (although you should replace the thermostat, and add the supplement) so go ahead and change them. It will leak again. It is better to attack the problem under your terms (in your driveway or garage) then under the cars terms (on some deserted stretch of highway somewhere). Just because it isn't leaking now, doesn't mean that it is fixed.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Archived