CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ICS on a 92 STS 4.9

tommyjack

My ICS makes the clicking noise when turnng the key on and off. I have tried to adjust it but it still does the same thing. When adjusting to the .030 gap between the ICS and TB stop, should that be an air gap of .030 or should the feeler gauge just slide between it? I have adjusted back as far as I can and it still touches the stop but has play enough to slide the gauge in. Also, should the ICS have any play in the shaft from front to back? I replaced it with another used one I had and it still clicks. However this one is adjusted back as far as it will go and I can not slide a guage between it with out the motor idling up. (no play in the shaft from end to end) Car idles fine with it unpluggeed, so can I drive it that way.? Or do I have two bad ICS? How much for a new one and where to buy it at?

Thanks,

TJ

My ICS makes the clicking noise when turnng the key on and off. I have tried to adjust it but it still does the same thing. When adjusting to the .030 gap between the ICS and TB stop, should that be an air gap of .030 or should the feeler gauge just slide between it? I have adjusted back as far as I can and it still touches the stop but has play enough to slide the gauge in. Also, should the ICS have any play in the shaft from front to back? I replaced it with another used one I had and it still clicks. However this one is adjusted back as far as it will go and I can not slide a guage between it with out the motor idling up. (no play in the shaft from end to end) Car idles fine with it unpluggeed, so can I drive it that way.? Or do I have two bad ICS? How much for a new one and where to buy it at?

Thanks,

TJ

TJ,

Do you have a problem with idle spedd (some codes stored, high or erratic idle), or you just want to make sure everything is in good order? I would not play with it unless THERE IS a problem.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

No problems other than the ratcheting noise when I start and shut down.

Okay. If the ratcheting sound is much louder tha it used to be, it is a sign the ISC motor may need to be replaced soon. Let it really act up, then replace and adjust.

To adjust it, push on the plunger with your thumb. When it retracts all the way, unplug it. Now adjust the .030 gap. Now plug it back in.

Did that. The problem is on one I can't adjust it back far enough to get a .030 gap. There is play in the shaft ( the shaft will push in and out ). I can get my feller gauge in there but when I pull it out the the end toucches the stop. On the other it will not retract at all. Can't adjust it in any more. How much are new ones and where can I get one besides the dealer?

Did that. The problem is on one I can't adjust it back far enough to get a .030 gap. There is play in the shaft ( the shaft will push in and out ). I can get my feller gauge in there but when I pull it out the the end toucches the stop. On the other it will not retract at all. Can't adjust it in any more. How much are new ones and where can I get one besides the dealer?

They are about 80$ gmpartsdirest.com rockauto.com

Archived