CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacing Power Steering Pump

Hello Everyone.Well this spring im planning to replace my power steering pump.Now,in order remove the pump it looks like i have to remove the pulley to get to the bolts.My problem is that it looks like a standerd pulley puller wont fit between the pulley shaft and the a/c accumulator.Is there a special northstar pulley puller that is made for this application?In my Shop manual They say Tools Required J 38825 and J 25033-B.Where can theese tools be obtained?Im sure if i get theese tools all my questions will be answered :lol: Anyways,thank you all in advance.

Takecare,

Sal

you can take off the pump first without removing the pulley.

there is one bolt holding it on near the firewall side of the pump, kinda hard to see.

you can take off the pump first without removing the pulley.

there is one bolt holding it on near the firewall side of the pump, kinda hard to see.

Oh but mine looks like its held to the engine with three bolts?Also,the manual shows three bolts too.If i just take the one bolt near the firewall side the pump should just come out?Even if thats so,the pulley is still in the way of that bolt.Well thank you Northstar if i can get to it ill try that first if not ill just pull the pulley of first.\

Thank you

Those three bolts you see under the pulley go to a bracket that has one bolt holding it on.

Use a flashlight and you will find that one bolt that is down on the left side of the pump closest to the firewall

Also the punp I got from AC Delco came with a bolt type puller.

• 3 weeks later...

Well did the Power steering pump yesterday..Pretty much an easy job !!:D That one bolt holding the pump to the block was nice way of getting it out.Thanks for the tip NorthStar.Also i used that Pulley Puller that Ranger recommended.That is a well made tool.Anyways,i changed the pump in about 20mins.My Steering pump for my other car the (1985 maxima) took me well over 2 hrs to do!Since i was at it.. i replaced my idler pulley,belt tensioner pulley and belt 6PK2120 goodyear Gatorback.

One thing tho.i went to an AC-Delco dealer to buy the ac-delco pulleys.They didnt have the model numbers for them.so i had to get them myself online at AC-delco.com(idler 38001 and tens 38006) .I gave them the numbers and they said that those numbers are dis-contiued with no replacement numbers.So i went to a few car dealerships and tried to get them with no luck.What i ended up doing was taking the pulleys off and had the dealer try to match them the best they can.All i can say is they worked but cover that goes over the bearings cannot be used because it rubs against the pulley.I find that odd that they stopped making thoose pulleys.But then again the car is twelve years old.

Thank you all for your help.

Takecare,

Sal

hmmm...I ran into the same problem when I changed my pulleys. I figured rockauto sent the wrong one...again! But the part # they sent was correct compared to the part # online. So after scratching my head, I made it work somehow, can't remember how exactly, but I think I flipped it over and used the plate from the old pulley. Whatever I did, it worked fine, but it did have me worried there for a minute.

hmmm...I ran into the same problem when I changed my pulleys. I figured rockauto sent the wrong one...again! But the part # they sent was correct compared to the part # online. So after scratching my head, I made it work somehow, can't remember how exactly, but I think I flipped it over and used the plate from the old pulley. Whatever I did, it worked fine, but it did have me worried there for a minute.

Yea i just didnt use the bearing cover.Just used the bolt with the built in washer wich fitted perfect.Now that you mentioned Rock auto... i think i still have a new set of pulleys from them that i never used because i knew they were the wrong ones.i never sent them back because i save everything lol

Yea i just didnt use the bearing cover.Just used the bolt with the built in washer wich fitted perfect.Now that you mentioned Rock auto... i think i still have a new set of pulleys from them that i never used because i knew they were the wrong ones.i never sent them back because i save everything lol

LOL!!! I have an extra pulley from them too. They sent the wrong part # the 1st time, but I forgot to return it. By the time I reordered the pulley among other things, it was over 30 days, and besides it wouldn't of been worth the hassle!

Now that you mention it, I think I did use the old bolt and washer, or did I....heck I can't remember.LOL! What ever I did, it worked!

Archived