CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

service engine light

i have a 97 eldorado, the service engine light is on .is there a way of checking for codes without taking it to the dealer ship?

i read the other post about the 98 cadillac, but i dont think i have the same buttons .

i did what you said to check for codes.nothing came up.the service engine light is still on . is there something else i can do or check for?

another question. when i held the off and pass temp up all the lights come on and on the temp control screen on the dash one light came on that said "de ice" i have never seen that before or used that option. what is it and how do i use it?

Sounds like you did it correctly., After you hold the off and warmer buttons down all segments of the dash light up as a check to be sure all segments are working so as not to get erronious readings. After that it should start reading out DTC's that are stored.

i did what you said to check for codes.nothing came up.the service engine light is still on . is there something else i can do or check for?

That is the only procedure that I know of, and if your Service Engine Soon light is on, you DO have codes in the PCM to pull...maybe you just didn't wait long enough. All the dash lights will light, and the HVAC panel will look funky as you noticed, and then under your speedometer and tachometer, where it normally tells you to "APPLY BRAKE TO SHIFT" and similar messages, it'll start displaying the codes that are stored in your computer, like "PCM P0404 CURRENT" or something similar.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

i did that test again last night the code "pcm p0146 current " came up in the very begining and then it ran through a hole bunch other stuff but no other codes. at the very end "PCM? " came up and stayed on untill i shut it off. after that the service engine soon light turned off i drove into town and back and then it came back on .after probably 40 kms or so? do you <or any one know the prob.?

i did that test again last night the code "pcm p0146 current " came up in the very begining and then it ran through a hole bunch other stuff but no other codes. at the very end "PCM? " came up and stayed on untill i shut it off. after that the service engine soon light turned off i drove into town and back and then it came back on .after probably 40 kms or so? do you

P0146 is insufficient activity with O2 sensor bank 1, sensor 3. That sensor is immediately after the cat-con on my car (and probably yours too).

Could be damaged wiring or bad sensor. Anyway, the PCM is not seeing the voltage swings it expets to see.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

would this be screwing up because of my cat.con. ? i put a free flowing converter on about 6 months before the light came on . could this be the reason ? do i need to put a diff. cat.con. on my exhaust?

Most likely if you had the high flow cat on for six months without a Service Engine light, that isn't the problem. It's probably just a bad O2 sensor.

Archived