CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacing radiator - transmission line leaking

gc_caddy

I just replaced my radiator which had cracks in the end tank. The transmission oil line, at the fitting, now has a slight leak. I tightened it up with a bit more torque (used a flare nut wrench), it helped at stopping the leak at idle, but after a test drive I noticed it still leaking.

The connection is a compression fit (no o-rings). Should I just torque it down some more? I'm now sure how much force I can use, or if it's even fruitful. The FSM says 20 lb ft (but it's kind of hard to judge because I can't use my torque wrench). If I damage the fitting by adding more torque, is my alternative to bypass the end tank cooler entirely? I think my 94 STS has an auxiliary cooler.

Did you try to reset the connection by taking the line off and putting it back on? I just replaced my radiator and didn't have a problem with the transaxle line. Is it leaking from the threads and/or in between the nut and line? How about trying an adhesive sealant.

Are you sure it didn't have O rings? My 96 did and I didn't see them till I put the new radiator in and saw them laying down in the cradle.They fell out when I removed the lines and I didn't see 'em (Got lucky on that one!)

Joe

I didn't have o-rings on my cooler line connections at the radiator on my 96, but my 91 did. Its possible that the flare is not fully seated, back the nut out and make sure the flare fitting is going straight in to the radiator and then tighten the nut. I see no reason why that joint should leak if the flare is in all the way, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks for the help, guys.

This morning I applied a bit more torque to the fittings and after driving into work, there were no more leaks. Of course, I haven't tried WOT, but I'll do that later tonight.

Changing the radiator is a bit more work than the FSM would indicate. Cramped spaces, clean up, etc. It's not brain surgery, just grunt work.

Thanks for the help, guys.

This morning I applied a bit more torque to the fittings and after driving into work, there were no more leaks. Of course, I haven't tried WOT, but I'll do that later tonight.

Changing the radiator is a bit more work than the FSM would indicate. Cramped spaces, clean up, etc. It's not brain surgery, just grunt work.

Archived