CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trans Fixing Question?????

tommyjack

Wife was driving the 92 STS 4.9 the other day when it started slowing down and finally got where it wouldn't move. Car was probbly not even hot, happened about 1 mile from the house. She called, (so much for sleeping late) :angry: and I went to check it out. Saw the problem as soon as I left my driveway. Followed a fluid trail right up to the car. The lower tranny hose had broke all the way out of the metal crimp.

I have cut the metal tube and inserted it in the hose about 1-1.5inches and doubled clamped it. Will this hold as a permanent fix? Also, no noise came from the tranny but it did lose a lot of fluid. I had about 30,000 miles on the fluid with a bottle or two of lucas trans additive in it. Anyone care to guess if there is any trans damage?

Thanks,

TJ

Wife was driving the 92 STS 4.9 the other day when it started slowing down and finally got where it wouldn't move. Car was probbly not even hot, happened about 1 mile from the house. She called, (so much for sleeping late) :angry: and I went to check it out. Saw the problem as soon as I left my driveway. Followed a fluid trail right up to the car. The lower tranny hose had broke all the way out of the metal crimp.

I have cut the metal tube and inserted it in the hose about 1-1.5inches and doubled clamped it. Will this hold as a permanent fix? Also, no noise came from the tranny but it did lose a lot of fluid. I had about 30,000 miles on the fluid with a bottle or two of lucas trans additive in it. Anyone care to guess if there is any trans damage?

Thanks,

TJ

TJ,

Did you fill it up and tested after temporary repair? There was a case when a line failed and the guy lost TCC function as a result (while driving up a hill). No more damage has been made to tranny. Let's hope yours is fine too.

I would not hesitate to replace all the tranny oil lines and hoses. I believe there are totally four pieces. All of them may be easily accessed from the top. I do not think the parts are expensive even if you have to order from a dealer. If you do order could you please write down the part numbers? I planned to do this job first thing in the spring since my lines look scary as well. If you need the diagrams I can scan them from the FSM.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Haven't put fluid back in it yet so I don't know about leaks. I was concern about the amount of pressure that goes through these lines. If I replace them I'lll send you the part numbers. I was only aware of two lines not four. Can you post the diagram?

TJ

Haven't put fluid back in it yet so I don't know about leaks. I was concern about the amount of pressure that goes through these lines. If I replace them I'lll send you the part numbers. I was only aware of two lines not four. Can you post the diagram?

TJ

Here we go. I have bigger files with much better resolution. I can email them to you if you want me to. I would replce not only the lines at the bottom of the radiator but also ones attached to the tranny itself.

post-312-1139533568_thumb.jpg

Thanks!!! These will work just fine.

You are welcome. I just looked once again at the lines... You do need to lift the car and get under it to access some connections. Not a lot of work though.

so did you get the car home? you said it would not move and you did not put fluid in it so i am wondering where it is now? towed home? I have been towed 3 times in the last yr. 2 different cars so its not so bad but once was the caddy. :lol:

Archived