CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

oil level and coolant level sensors

brmurph

Anyone know at what point the oil level and or the coolant level sensors come on for the Northstar (98 Concours)? I have never had either one of them come on so of course I had to try and test this :-). For the oil level sensor I only added 4.5 quarts instead of the 7.5 it takes to fill (with filter change), I then ran the motor for about one minute and no message came up on the DIC telling me the oil was low. I then changed fluid and left it low by about .5 gals, again ran the motor for about 1 minute and I never got a message for that either.

Any idea at what point these things tell you they are low? Trying to see if they are not working correctly or if something else is going on.

Thanks.

I think the oil one comes on at two quarts low and the coolant one when the surge tank gets low.

I would be careful about running your engine low on oil like that.

I think the oil one comes on at two quarts low and the coolant one when the surge tank gets low.

I would be careful about running your engine low on oil like that.

I agree with you, that is why I am trying to do it under somewhat controlled circumstances (as you know it is easy to run the Northstar low on oil) I guess something with both sensors must be bad. Anyone have this type of problem?

Thanks.

Northstar is correct. The oil level warning comes on at about 2 qts low or just about the time the oil level drops off the dipstick. You should have no problem idling the engine with as little as 3 qts in it.

Not sure about the coolant level but it should come on before the tank is empty.

Archived