CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

climate control

pizzy_moto

i've got a '93 sts with a northstar. a lil' while ago, i hacked up the lower portion of the front bumper cover, on a snow bank. soon after, my climate control started to climb in tempurature, steadily for the next few days. after baout a week it got jammed at 53 degrees celcius. seeing as i live in montreal, its definitely more like -30 degrees celcius in the middle of january. is there a sensor or something like it that may have gotten damaged when i ripped the bumbper cover up, or was it jsut a coincidence? HELP!!

thanks

-paolo

Welcome to the board! Does the coolant temp read 53°C all the time or is that the peak temperature after running the engine? How far do you typically drive and have you checked your coolant level yet? If not then I would start there. You may have damaged one of the return lines or lower portion of the radiator and leaked some coolant.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

There is an outside temperature sensor that should be behind the grill in front of the fans. It is possible that you damaged the sensor or its wiring and its shorted, has an open circuit or the sensor is damaged. I don't have a 93 manual to show you what it looks like, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I completely misunderstood the problem here. I thought you were talking about the coolant temp and not the outside temperature. Big Doh! The sensor is located behind the grill (middle) but not attached to the grill and is about the size of a spark plug only fatter. If it wasn't so cold outside I would snap a picture for you. If you were to cut the bottom portion of a spark plug off, the remaining top half would look like the sensor... but black. It's held onto the front end assembly by a bracket. My bracket broke some time ago but I was able to retap a new hole with the remaining bracket piece. The sensor should point directly forward like a torpedo. Hope this is more helpful than my previous post. lol

Note: When my bracket broke my sensor fell and tucked itself close to the radiator. My readings were all over the place and read much warmer than it actually was due to the warm radiator keeping the sensor all nice and cozy.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I completely misunderstood the problem here. I thought you were talking about the coolant temp and not the outside temperature. Big Doh! The sensor is located behind the grill (middle) but not attached to the grill and is about the size of a spark plug only fatter. If it wasn't so cold outside I would snap a picture for you. If you were to cut the bottom portion of a spark plug off, the remaining top half would look like the sensor... but black. It's held onto the front end assembly by a bracket. My bracket broke some time ago but I was able to retap a new hole with the remaining bracket piece. The sensor should point directly forward like a torpedo. Hope this is more helpful than my previous post. lol

Note: When my bracket broke my sensor fell and tucked itself close to the radiator. My readings were all over the place and read much warmer than it actually was due to the warm radiator keeping the sensor all nice and cozy.

it's three in the morning her ein montreal, and all this talk makes me need to go look at it in my garage, immediately, ill posyt back in a few!

-paolo

it's 3:28 now. ive looked, located whats seems to be the sensor, and attempted to find the wiring. the wiring is hidden in a magical land of tucked-away-ness. i wiggled everything and no change. do you guys know if the fog light wiring may have been an interferance issue? both of my fog lights are removed, due to the smashed up bumber. one of the wires is snipped and taped, the other is a solo connector, tucked up and waya with some zip ties. !!!!!!!!! help. im frustrated.

-paolo

this is the sensor, right?

post-3094-1137487121_thumb.jpg

That is the sensor. I'm not sure if the sensor wiring is somehow connected with the fog lights. Does the sensor look ok? Was it pushed or flexed from the collision with the snow bank? The tip of the sensor should be pointing forward (towards the front of the car). You might want to disconnect the sensor at the plug (seen in your photo) and make sure the contacts are clean. Otherwise I would tend to think the wiring has an exposure somewhere. Carefully inspect the wiring around the front end assembly where it contacts the frame. I believe the wiring is weaved through a hole or two and could be rubbing the frame at those points. Of course it could just be a damaged sensor. Other members may have more ideas and insight.

"Burns" rubber

• 4 weeks later...

Archived