CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Maybe you can help me

GreenMachine

I usually post on the cadillacowners.com forum but I have frequented your site and have found lots of usefull information.

Anyway this problem has baffled the guys over at the other forum so I thought maybe some of you might be able to help me.

My drivers side seat does not respond to any adjustments. The lumbar also doesn't work but the heated part does. The seat is stuck in driver 1's settings. Even when I hit the driver 2 button it doesn't change so I know the door controls are ok. The passenger side seat is ok and all settings and buttons work for adjustment. I replaced the fuse that is in the trunk and was able to get the seat to move for a split second then it popped the fuse again.

I'm Pulling code: MSM B0856 "Battery 2 out of range" as current.

and a related code: MSM B2120 "Lumbar Up/Down Sensor Failed" as history

Vehicle is a 98 Cadillac Deville. I'm taller than my dad so setting 1 really makes it tight in there. My first thought is that the motor is shot but since it moved and then popped a fuse I figure it something deeper and something is shorting it out. I'm thinkg Battery 2 out of range is refering to the "maxifuse", think i spelled that right, named "BATT2" and in the manual says to take it to the dealer if one of those are blown.

Thanks for any and all replies.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

There is dininitely a short in the wiring to the seat motor if the fuse is blowing. Check the wiring to the seat motor as it may have been pinched somehow.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

DTC B0856 Diagnostic Info:

Circuit Description

The memory seat module (MSM) is supplied battery positive voltage (B+) at connector C4 cavity B (RED) from the seats circuit breaker in the left underhood fuse block. This battery positive voltage (B+) supply powers the seat motors.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The dirty battery positive voltage (B+) falls out of the range of 9.0-15.5 volts.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The dirty battery positive voltage (B+) is within a valid operating range during the last monitoring cycle.

Diagnostic Aids

Test the battery for proper voltage.

If the battery voltage is OK, test for an open in CKT 742 (RED) between S311 and the memory seat module (MSM

Power seat Inop diagnostic Info:

98 deville W/O A45???

Did you perform the entire Power Seats System Check?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to Power Seats System Check

Disconnect the seat relay module connector C3.

Connect a J 39200 digital multimeter (DMM) between the seat relay module connector C3 cavity A (RED) and ground.

Is the voltage within the specified range?

10-15 V

yes:Go to Step 3

no:Go to Step 8

Disconnect the seat relay module connector C2.

Connect a DMM between the seat relay module connector C3 cavity A (RED) and connector C2 cavity C (BLK).

10-15 V

yes:Go to Step 4

no:Go to Step 9

Disconnect the seat switch connector.

Connect a DMM between the seat relay module connector C3 cavity A (RED) and the seat switch connector cavity J (BLK).

10-15 V

yes:Go to Step 5

no:Go to Step 10

Connect the seat relay module connector C2 and connector C3.

Connect a fused jumper between the seat switch connector cavity F (GRY) and ground.

Does the entire seat move forward?

--

yes:Go to Step 6

no:Go to Step 7

Replace the seat switch. Refer to Seat Switch Replacement - Power .

Is the repair complete?

--

--

Replace the seat relay module.

Is the repair complete?

--

--

Repair the open in CKT 742 (RED) between S311 and the seat relay module. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?

--

--

Repair the open in CKT 850 (BLK) between S313 and the seat relay module. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?

--

--

Repair the open in CKT 50 (BLK) between S200 and the left seat switch. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?

--

Not sure what the A45 is all about, but if your car has it i will post the diag. info for it. Man I love my new GM SPO Software, its AWESOME. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will put up the wiring diagrams too.

matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Thanks for the info! I'll check out what I can today. Freezing rain and snow so messing with the battery and electricty not my idea of fun with those conditions around me.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Should have said that the rear fuse that blew everytime I replaced it was "IGN 0-BODY". Whats odd is the other functions that are affected by that fuse seem ok, maybes it not fully blowing or the other functions are built on redundancy on other fuses too. The motor only works a split second when its replaced. I "guessed" that Upper Zone Motor and Lower Zone Motor ment the seat motors.

I'm not sure what A45 is.

The Green's Machines

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Thanks for the info! I'll check out what I can today. Freezing rain and snow so messing with the battery and electricty not my idea of fun with those conditions around me.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Should have said that the rear fuse that blew everytime I replaced it was "IGN 0-BODY". Whats odd is the other functions that are affected by that fuse seem ok, maybes it not fully blowing or the other functions are built on redundancy on other fuses too. The motor only works a split second when its replaced. I "guessed" that Upper Zone Motor and Lower Zone Motor ment the seat motors.

I'm not sure what A45 is.

Found out A45 means memory package.

The Green's Machines

• 6 months later...

alright still haven't goten this fixed, luckily I haven't gained any wait so that ever close steering wheel has not goten closer.

I've been monitoring my codes and is it possible that a "Lumber Up/Down Sensor" (MSM B2120) could be the culprit? That code seems to always end up in history while the "Batt 2 out of range code" (MSM B0856) stays current.

Does anyone have a price ball park I'm in for that? Would that lumber sensor kill all control over the drivers seat? Well I'll let you know this weekend or sometime during the week if I have the chance to start wrenching on it. (I elected to change oil and coolant with my last amount of free time :))

This is just one of those things that keeps getting put off simply because there is so much to do right now, have to get all the body work done (front bumper cracked from winter, someone keyed the car, brakes still kinda funny so taking that back again, and now I must keep up the ebay search for a center cap :))

The Green's Machines

Archived