CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Poor Managent

CBOYLE15

Also, according to what I have read, the average UAW wage is $27.50/hr, which equates to $57,200 annually, plus overtime, plus benefits, etc. All in all, GM spends upwards of $70K for each employee. Many college graduates don't make that much, especially teachers.

Shell me if you want, but GM will need to focus much of its efforts on UAW negotiations and/or bankruptcy in order to keep afloat.

I'm not knocking unions, my father was ABG and I even used to be UAW, but it irritates me that assembly workers putting cars together are paid more than I am...and I make life and death decisions at my job in the Cardiac ICU. I used to build car parts before my college education and career change.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If $27.50 is the avg UAW wage, what is the avg starting salary for union employees (UAW)? I mean does a 18-19 year old right out of high school, who hits the timing just right (or has the right connections) in getting hired really making this much money? I find that hard to believe but certainly not impossible.

Certainly, experience has a huge effect on one's wages. What would be nice is to see the actual brek down of the salaries of the various trades & craftsmen it takes to put a car together. Otherwise, some folks aren't getting their just due!

revolcallidac Posted on Nov 24 2005, 10:20 PM

...it irritates me that assembly workers putting cars together are paid more than I am...and I make life and death decisions at my job in the Cardiac ICU...

What do you do? Are you in private or public employment? Maybe I'm mistaken, but with a few exceptions those in private employment tend to do ... on average... better than those in public employment. Either way, ther are no free lunches. After all is said and done there is give & take on both sides? Also, the industry your in makes a big difference. Hey, it's a simple fact that some industries pay better than others.

Jim

I would like to remind everyone who believes that its the unions fault to ask yourself, "who negotiates with the union" a lot of these posts give the impression that each morning some UAW president/steward/brother wakes up and says, "Today I think we should all make $75 dollars an hour and only work every third Tuesday" and that this just magically happens.

I work in management and I sit on our Labor Relations Negotiating team. I meet (as part of a team of senior managers and outside professionals) with the union(s) and we agree to salaries and benefits. It is always made perfectly clear to me that it is MANAGEMENT'S ultimate responsibility to safeguard the company, our profits, shareholders and long term viability.

Full Stop.

It is our job to negotiation with the union a settlement that is fair and takes into consideration the future profitability of our company, competitive forces, market trends, and other impacts. If you are not happy with what GM is paying the UAW I would start by asking questions of the managment negotiators and work up.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Well, I think GM will bounce back, just like Chrysler did in the late 80's. One big problem is that GM had that 4 million dollar accounting error a couple of months ago. 4 million dollars short in the books is a lot. Second...I am a union guy, BUT I think the retirement healthcare plans for employees is killing the health care. My father was a college professor with a much similar health care plan for retirees and his plan (though benefiting my mother now since my father passed), is killing the healthcare of the college. Healthcare has gone through a lot of changes and is TOO expensive now. Thirdly....I find the decisions on what GM's spends their money on is kind of strange.....PERFECT EXAMPLE......I live near Youngstown, Ohio and they have just completed a new convocation center. Just last week, the city announced it as the "chevrolet center". GM spent 1 million dollars to rename the center. If the corporation is in such financial trouble....why are spending big bucks to do frivilous things???? Management problem!!!

I have rambled enough.....BUY STOCK IN GM NOW WHILE IT IS LOW....you will most likely make a fortune later.....just like Chrysler stock holders did in the 80's

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

BUY STOCK IN GM NOW WHILE IT IS LOW....you will most likely make a fortune later.....just like Chrysler stock holders did in the 80's

That is assuming GM can avoid chapter 11. If they can't, your stock will be worthless. "Do ya feel lucky, well do ya?" - Clint Eastwood.

Well, I think GM will bounce back, just like Chrysler did in the late 80's. One big problem is that GM had that 4 million dollar accounting error a couple of months ago.

I have rambled enough.....BUY STOCK IN GM NOW WHILE IT IS LOW....you will most likely make a fortune later.....just like Chrysler stock holders did in the 80's

Another big difference was we had government then that had some degree of concern for US industry... Poor Dubya has so many other problems to wrestle with right now that if GM were to go under... I'm not sure he would even notice... In the 80's the Government also had some cash on hand to bail out Chrysler... Cash is tight these days... Even in Washington.

Used to be a president when faced with the possibility of one of the big three going under would reply "Not on my watch!"

I fear George might say... "Thank goodness they can't blame FEMA for this one"

The days of "What's good for GM is good for America" are long gone sad.gif

PS Regarding Buy Now... most of my department is taking me out for lunch daily on all the money they are making shorting it... mad.gif

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived