CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Leaving it in drive???

I feel very embarassed, but I am coming out with a story that I am ashamed of. I went to start my 95 SLS one morning and it wouldn't turn over at all. I thought the battery was dead so i tried getting a jump, but it didn't work. So i got a friend who tested the battery and the battery was perfectly fine 100%. Well stupid me, the night before which was a very long night, i had left my car in drive and took the keys out of the ignition, i never put it in park. Yes it is very stupid, but i was shocked that the car even allowed me to do that.

So my question is.....leaving it in drive, could this have harmed anything??

P.s. I do have an excuse of why i did that lol

I feel very embarassed, but I am coming out with a story that I am ashamed of. I went to start my 95 SLS one morning and it wouldn't turn over at all. I thought the battery was dead so i tried getting a jump, but it didn't work. So i got a friend who tested the battery and the battery was perfectly fine 100%. Well stupid me, the night before which was a very long night, i had left my car in drive and took the keys out of the ignition, i never put it in park. Yes it is very stupid, but i was shocked that the car even allowed me to do that.

So my question is.....leaving it in drive, could this have harmed anything??

P.s. I do have an excuse of why i did that lol

How did you get the key out of the ignition?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'm real paranoid about my ride.... some one smashed my moms van window overnight. Some jerk set us back $800... luckily my caddy was at the mechanic.

Maybe some one just wanted to steal your ride. :unsure:

One day my son called his mother in a panic on his lunch break. His new used car wouldn't start and he couldn't get the keys out of the ignition. He was in a panic because he had to get back to work. He had tried everything. His mother rushed over to pick him up and confirmed that indeed the car wouldn't start.

My first thought was did he put the car in park. I immediately shurgged that off. Of course he had the car in park. EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN'T START A CAR IN GEAR. I started going over all the possible scenarios in my mind. Dead battery, dirty battery terminals, faulty starter, or something else beyond my limited mechanical knowledge. So what that the key wouldn't come out of the ignition there had to be something else wrong because EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN'T START A CAR IN GEAR.

Besides that his mother looked at the car and confirmed it wouldn't start and even she knows YOU CAN'T START A CAR IN GEAR.

Guess what I found when I rushed over to try to get the car started?

You can guess the rest of the story. As for the reason. My wife was in a hurry so she really didn't look. My son is only 16 and spends most of his time thinking about girls and video games. So what's your excuse? :)

Being at the mechanic doesn't always save it. When my 85 Pontiac 6000 was at the mechanic and parked outside the windows got shot out of it with BB guns. Insurance picked it up but still. its not always safe there either.

-Roswell-

Archived