CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Lower octane fuel

With gas jumping a nickel a gallon on almost a daily basis here in California, I used an 89 octane (midrange) rather than 91 (premium) in my last fill up. My '97 DeVille has 137,000 miles. This morning I started it up, and it was idling rough and the "service engine soon" was on. The idle smoothed out by the time I got to work, but the light is still on. Could this be due to the lower octane fuel? I used an 87 octane fuel last year for a couple of tanks when the prices were high and seem to recall the light coming on as well. The only codes that are showing are all history codes... PCM P0300 and P0603, IPC B1552, and PZM B0533. Thanks for any suggestions and help with the codes. On an unrelated item, the automatic trunk release is only releasing about 50% of the time, whether using the dash release, or the remote keyless entry. Anyone have ideas on this? Thanks!!

Using a lower octane fuel should not turn on the service soon light. I use regular in my '96 SLS without any problems.

P0300 - Engine misfire

P0603 - Control module long term memory reset

B1552 - Loss of keep alive memory

B0533 - Fuel level sensor shorted to battery

Check that the battery cable connections are clean and tight. Clear the codes and then see if any reset.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I put a tank full of 89 octane in when I first got the car and the first time I nailed it I got the "service engine" lite. I attributed it to the fuel and went back to 92. A few years latter I found this site and was assured that it would run fine on 87 and would not cause a "service engine" lite to illuminate. I have been running 87 for the last year and have had no problems and do not notice any performance loss. If there is any it is minor.

Regarding the trunk release, I had the same problem on my wifes '96 Bonneville. It got worse til it did not work at all. Turned out to be a relay.

the automatic trunk release is only releasing about 50% of the time, whether using the dash release, or the remote keyless entry. Anyone have ideas on this? Thanks!!

Check the wire harness that runs along the deck lid hinge for a broken wire making intermittent contact. Sometimes, the wires break after repeatec opening/closing of the trunk.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived