CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rear Struts 96 Deville

Scotty

Lo and Behold, using a pipe wrench the entire electronics package detached from the shock! This makes me believe that if you had code set because the electronics were bad, you could swap the electronics from one strut to another. The oil inside the strut smells like tranny fluid. I wonder if you drained the shock, and used a higher viscosity hydraulic oil would you be able to revive a bad strut?

Kevin, you mentioned that you were getting a code, if you want this electronics package (assuming you have the same setup) let me know. I was not getting a code, the shock was dead. Mike

post-3-1128956907_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lo and Behold, using a pipe wrench the entire electronics package detached from the shock!  This makes me believe that if you had code set because the electronics were bad, you could swap the electronics from one strut to another.  The oil inside the strut smells like tranny fluid.  I wonder if you drained the shock, and used a higher viscosity hydraulic oil would you be able to revive a bad strut? 

Kevin, you mentioned that you were getting a code, if you want this electronics package (assuming you have the same setup) let me know. I was not getting a code, the shock was dead.  Mike

Interesting! When you removed the sensor, did the oil/gas leak out of the shock or is there a redundant seal? I wonder if the sensor could be transferred to a good shock or if removing it would destroy the shock.

Did you try the resistors on your new struts yet?

I may be interested in the sensor - let me know how much the shipping would be and I'll Paypal you the amount. At least I could just connect it and zip tie it out of the way... rolleyes.gif

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin, I had it facing upward when I loosened the fitting, I did not hear any gas at all, and just wetness from the oil. There is an o-ring seal.

I would imagine that you could transfer this electronics package to a different strut. I needed to cut the connector off to connect it to the Boston's resistor. You will need to solder in and shrinkwrap your connector if you use it.

Not knowing how to get at the electronics, I damaged the other shock's electric connection at the shock thinking that it was a plug when it was not a plug, so the other electronics are kaput.

What do you think about measuring the resistence on this package with an ohm meter? Would it be a help knowing the resistence if the resistors that I have from Boston don't work?

I did not hook up the resistors yet, we have been getting very heavy rain for 3 days (Rita leftovers). What I am doing today is connecting up the resistors to the connectors and shrink wrapping the splice, I may attach the resistors tomorrow. I will need to drill two (each) mounting holes in the frame to secure the resistors, and I have not been in the mood for that as I need to lay on my back in the damp weather sad.gif Next weekend I am taking a 650 mile trip to take my son back to school, so I am looking forward to that trip!

If you are interested in this package, send me an email or pm with your address, and I will send it out, Mike

Not knowing how to get at the electronics, I damaged the other shock's electronics doing exploratory surgery on it, so the other electronics are kaput. 

What do you think about measuring the resistence on this package with an ohm meter?  Would it be a help knowing the resistence if the resistors that I have from Boston don't work?

How badly damaged is the other valve? Is a quick picture possible? Don't throw it in the trash!!!!

When you are finished with this job, I plan to ask you to copy a page or two from your Service Manual to help me understand if the RSS sensing circuitry on a '96 operates the same as a '98. And maybe I'll ask you to send the damaged valve.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Not knowing how to get at the electronics, I damaged the other shock's electronics doing exploratory surgery on it, so the other electronics are kaput.  

What do you think about measuring the resistence on this package with an ohm meter?  Would it be a help knowing the resistence if the resistors that I have from Boston don't work?

How badly damaged is the other valve? Is a quick picture possible? Don't throw it in the trash!!!!

When you are finished with this job, I plan to ask you to copy a page or two from your Service Manual to help me understand if the RSS sensing circuitry on a '96 operates the same as a '98. And maybe I'll ask you to send the damaged valve.

Jim, the two circles is where the electrical connector goes into the strut. The one on the right I broke off thinking that it was a plug.

You can clearly see the o-ring on the package.

Jim, if you really want one of these I can give you one of the packages from my front struts when I take them off, Mike

Let me know what you want from my manual....

post-3-1128967241_thumb.jpg

Kevin, here is a view down the throat of the strut when the electronics package is removed.

As I stood the strut vertical there was a ton of oil at the opening, so you would need to remove the strut to replace this electronics unit to avoid spilling the shock oil out. Mike

post-3-1128967482_thumb.jpg

Jim, the two circles is where the electrical connector goes into the strut.  The one on the right I broke off thinking that it was a plug. 

You can clearly see the o-ring on the package. 

Jim, if you really want one of these I can give you one of the packages from my front struts when I take them off, Mike

If the ends of the coil wires are accessible on the damaged valve, I can use it for what I have in mind.

You can save the undamaged valve for someone else putting passive struts on a similar vehicle and they do not want to mess with the resistor setup.

Thanks; I will be a NYY fan for a few hours this afternoon!!!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Kevin, here is a view down the throat of the strut when the electronics package is removed.

As I stood the strut vertical there was a ton of oil at the opening, so you would need to remove the strut to replace this electronics unit to avoid spilling the shock oil out. Mike

Thanks for the information - I am still worried that the gas would be lost when removing the sensor. Unfortunately, the only person who could confirm that is no longer participating on this board...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Somewhere [possibly at the end of Section 3 (Suspension)] there "might be" a Description and Operation page or two.

If that description has a paragraph or more about how the strut/shock solenoid valve is controlled, I would appreciate seeing the text. I have no idea what the system was called in '96 but you might find a reference to RSS, or CVRSS, or a term that infers electronic control of struts/shock absorbers.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

As I stood the strut vertical there was a ton of oil at the opening, so you would need to remove the strut to replace this electronics unit to avoid spilling the shock oil out.  Mike

Thanks for the information - I am still worried that the gas would be lost when removing the sensor. Unfortunately, the only person who could confirm that is no longer participating on this board...

Neither strut that I opened seemed to have any gas charge in them but lots of oil...

As I stood the strut vertical there was a ton of oil at the opening, so you would need to remove the strut to replace this electronics unit to avoid spilling the shock oil out.   Mike

Neither strut that I opened seemed to have any gas charge in them but lots of oil...

Maybe because your struts were worn out, the gas charge was long gone before you removed the actuator? Just a thought.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hey Scotty, how much total did you spend on the shocks and struts? I am looking to replace my front stuts first and foremost (the front passenger is leaking). The only problem I have is finding a shop where I can bring my own parts in. These darn shops rape you horrifically and scoff at me when I ask them if I can bring in my own parts for install. Let me know...thanks in advance.

Hey Scotty, how much total did you spend on the shocks and struts? I am looking  to replace my front stuts first and foremost (the front passenger is leaking). The only problem I have is finding a shop where I can bring my own parts in. These darn shops rape you horrifically and scoff at me when I ask them if I can bring in my own parts for install. Let me know...thanks in advance.

I purchsed the luxury version of the struts from Boston Suspension, I think the total was about $530. Go to http://www.bostonsuspension.com/

Also check http://arnottindustries.com

I am doing my own installation. The rear is quite easy if you are mechanically inclined. The front is much more advanced if you ask me

Hey Scotty, how much total did you spend on the shocks and struts? I am looking  to replace my front stuts first and foremost (the front passenger is leaking). The only problem I have is finding a shop where I can bring my own parts in. These darn shops rape you horrifically and scoff at me when I ask them if I can bring in my own parts for install. Let me know...thanks in advance.

I purchsed the luxury version of the struts from Boston Suspension, I think the total was about $530. Go to http://www.bostonsuspension.com/

Also check http://arnottindustries.com

I am doing my own installation. The rear is quite easy if you are mechanically inclined. The front is much more advanced if you ask me

I was thinking that I wanted to clarify the statement I made about the front struts. While they are more difficult, they are more difficult because of disassembling the strut assembly and reassembling the spring, strut and strut mount assembly. BUT...if you have an alignment shop or machine shop that can do the exchange for you, its not that bad of a job then.

I purchased new springs, strut mounts, top and bottom insulators and struts, the only part that I don't have new is the dust boot.

So the front is not too bad of a job with a machine shop and then taking it for an alignment, Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Mike:

What code is being set?

Send me a damper valve and I should be able to determine a resistor value that will satisfy the computer test.

Sounds like your 12 Ohm resistor is providing a voltage feedback value outside the range the suspension controller is programmed to accept as valid. The DTC # will give a clue.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks Jim, I will check the codes and check back. I will send you the damper valve this week, this will help Kevin also, I sent him an email telling him the bad news. Thanks again, I will post the code shortly, Mike

I'm glad I didn't order a 12 ohm resistor... laugh.giflaugh.gif . Keep this thread up to date as I am very interested in the resistance value that actually defeats the SRC message.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'm glad I didn't order a 12 ohm resistor... laugh.giflaugh.gif . Keep this thread up to date as I am very interested in the resistance value that actually defeats the SRC message.

Me too on both accounts! laugh.gif I will send the sensor to Jim this week, Mike

Hey guys I heard in this post that you were talking about bypassing the electronics for when you install the boston suspension. Well I had the code for the right rear damper, so I took a 1000ohm resistor and dissconnected the wire leading to the sensor and put the resistor on the wire and it took care of the code, so Im happy now with no more service suspension light on. Just though I would let you guys know, because maybe it will work for you.

Jason

Hey guys I heard in this post that you were talking about bypassing the electronics for when you install the boston suspension. Well I had the code for the right rear damper, so I took a 1000ohm resistor and dissconnected the wire leading to the sensor and put the resistor on the wire and it took care of the code, so Im happy now with no more service suspension light on. Just though I would let you guys know, because maybe it will work for you.

Jason

Thanks Jason, what wattage was it? I have to check if we have similar systems, something tells me we don't but thanks for the information.

Where did you get the information regarding the 1,000 ohm rating? Thanks, Mike

Hey Scotty, I bought the resistors from radioshack.

The package states exactly

1k-Ohm Resistors

1/2watt - 5% tolerance

I had the resistors left over from when I did the traction control, I did away with that though when I had no ABS or STABILTRAK.

You should try it there only like $1.07 with tax for 5 resistors.

Looking at your pictures the rear struts look pretty close to the same.

Jason

Hey I was just wondering if anyone solved the problem in this topic related to the recent post.

Not yet, I am in the process of sending the damper valve to Jim for him to analyze it. I think you have a different suspension than I do, they changed to a different system. I will post in this thread any solutions we find. Mike

Archived