CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission trouble

Having shifting problems on my 1996 sts cadillac. Code is PCM 0756, which says shift solenoid performance 2-3 (B). Is the entire tranny junk. I have been told that it might only need a solenoid kit. My buddy is a half decent shade tree mechanic, how do you know if the whole tranny is trashed? It has great first gear power as if nothing is wrong and when it shifts into second the rpms go up and it shifts very hard. Any suggestions?

I just got my a bit of experience with transmission, so as everybody told me, to change solenoids is not a big deal, but messy. I ordered it on www.rockauto.com and it was very cheap. My case was different. I think you should be more lucky: you got a code which shows you a direction. I searched forum, a big procentage of troubles are related to bad solenoids, so it looks like your case. I don't think you have a major problem with a transmission.

kevinraywalden,

if you are getting the code for shift solenoids, and wondering if your whole tranny is shot, do yourself a favour, change the shift solenoids. You would be surprised how easy it is to change them, and the difference that they make. Search the archives, i believe there are even some posts with pictres on how to relpace them, i did mine on my old 95 sts and it took about an hour. Just read the posts on here and dont give up on the car cause of shift solenoids, there a $80.00 part!!

Matt B)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

I dont know if you have seen this.....

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) identifies a 2-3 shift solenoid valve performance problem by monitoring the commanded gear versus the gear ratio.

When the PCM detects the gear ratio outside the limits for a particular commanded gear, then DTC P0756 sets. DTC P0756 is a type A DTC.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

No MAF DTCs P0101, P0102 or P0103 are set.

No TP DTCs P0121, P0122 or P0123 are set.

No VSS DTCs P0502 or P0503 are set.

No A/T ISS DTCs P0716 or P0717 are set.

No 1-2 shift solenoid valve electrical DTC P0753 is set.

No 2-3 shift solenoid valve electrical DTC P0758 is set.

No TFP Val. Position Sw. DTC P1810 is set.

The engine has been running for more than 5 seconds.

The vehicle speed is more than 6 km/h (4 mph).

The throttle angle is greater than 11°.

A shift is not in progress.

Not in fuel shut off.

The Automatic Transmission Fluid Temperature is greater than 30°C (86°F).

The TFP Val. Position Sw. indicates D1, D2, D3 or D4.

Failure Criteria

Case 1

First gear is commanded.

The gear ratio is 0.65-0.71 for 1 second.

Delivered torque is greater than 82 N·m (60 lb ft).

Case 2

Second gear is commanded.

The gear ratio is 0.95-1.05 for 0.5 seconds.

Case 3

Third gear is commanded.

The gear ratio is 1.54-1.71 for 4 seconds.

Case 4

Fourth gear is commanded.

The gear ratio is 2.87-3.11 for 1 second.

Delivered torque is greater than 22 N·m (16 lb ft).

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The PCM illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).

SERVICE ENGINE SOON, SERVICE TRANSMISSION displays on the Driver Information Center (DIC).

The PCM commands 2nd gear.

The PCM commands default line pressure.

The PCM inhibits Torque Converter Clutch.

The PCM disables steady state adapts.

The PCM disables garage shift adapts.

The PCM inhibits torque management.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The PCM turns OFF the MIL after three consecutive ignition cycles without a failure reported.

A scan tool can clear the DTC from the PCM history. The PCM clears the DTC from the PCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without a failure reported.

The PCM cancels the DTC default actions when the fault no longer exists and the ignition is OFF long enough in order to power down the PCM.

Diagnostic Aids

Inspect the transmission fluid for sediment.

Inspect the transmission filter for debris.

The customer may experience an engine flair or neutral in 4th gear.

Archived