CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rented an '04 Deville

JasonA

My local Enterprise rent-a-car store is the best place around! They never have the car they reserve for me, and I've gotten upgraded for free everytime. Last time I rented from them, I reserved a standard and got upgraded to a Taurus. This past business trip, which I just got home from, they didn't have any standards and asked if a Cadillac would work. Eh...don't have to twist my arm! Brand spankin' new '04 Cashmere Deville!

Likes: man does that car ride nice! It handles better than my SLS, is much better damped, and even has less ride harshness. The 128k mile old struts and performance Michelins on mine probably contribute some to that (this Deville had the very squishy Michelin Symmetry tires). This was a base model, but had some pretty cool features (as standard equipment I guess). It had the tire pressure monitoring system, turn signals in the side mirrors, and a great Delco stereo system (I counted at least eight speaker locations). The ride was absolutely bank vault quiet. I really like the new style turn signal switch (I guess this comes from the G-platform on which this is based). You can push the switch FORWARD for sustained bright lights, and pull back towards you for the flash-to-pass. This differs from the old GM style, where you pull back to engage the brights, and pull backward again to disengage them. Makes flash-to-pass with the headlights on very difficult. I'm glad to see GM finally incorporate that seemingly simple fix. :)

Things I miss, compared to my '97: while driving a luxury car, you should not have to look at the wipers or arms, period. These things park up on the windshield and look unsightly. In fact, there is no "park" position, as in traditional GM designs, which hide underneath the hood lip. I like the classic style better. I did notice, however, that the new Deville has wiper arms which accept the -1 style wiper blades, instead of the old standby post mounted blades (-2 style) that the General used to use. I like the -1s better myself. I guess the new style isn't as compact -- and is too bulky for the wipers to be able to hide when not in use? Um...I missed the trunk pull-down. Simple, but classy. Too bad they took that out. The wood on the dash felt cheap, very plastic like. The stuff on mine feels thick and solid. It's also cracked, though, so maybe the newer stuff is more crack resistant?

Overall, I think the new Deville is an excellent car. I don't think that car should alienate traditional Cad owners at all. You can't really even hear the engine. I thought my SLS had a quiet engine note. It's a roaring race car compared to this new Deville. :) Feels like it too -- the performance of the Deville was much softer off the line, but still pulled well at speed. bobynski has said before that the induction note was more "refined" in the later engines, and I agree that it sounds more sophisticated, and more "Mercedes-like". I prefer the old race car, but the new one is very nice as well. :) I thoroughly enjoyed the 500 miles I was priviledged to spend in the General's latest luxury machine.

PS: I just LOVE the new Northstar emblems!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hi Jason

So you like the deville.It's a nice car I also like the new northstar emblem I'm thing of putting one on my 01 deville looks better than the old style emblem I seen some on eb@y cheap too but they probably are not that expensive anyway.Now you need to take an xlr for a ride Now that's a nice car..I travel a lot in my job so I always upgrade to a cadillac I just have them stamp the bill only car available it works for me.That way it just greases past the travel dept. when i submit my expense reports.

Cheers

Jim

Hey Jim:

I also like that HUGE Cadillac hood ornament on the front of the car!

Hey all you Deville owners...could I make a request for you guys to get together and make a "year to year" running list of changes for the Devilles like we have for the Sevilles? For instance, when did the Deville get the turn signals in the mirrors? When did Onstar seemingly become standard equipment? Stuff like that. It would make research easy for those of us who might like to ... COUGH ... buy one. :) Same goes for the Eldorados.

Thanks,

Hi Jason

That is a big hood ornament. I don't have a hood ornamet on mine.They made some small change to the outside such as the mirrors you mentioned with the turn signals tail light a little diff. added some features and such like cooling in the seats standard Nav.system tire monitoring sys. and some changes to the engine etc.It's really the same basic car as the 2000's. When I hop in a new one I don't notice any major diff. betwwen the other than the turn signals in the side view mirrors which by the way it bugs me I imagine you just have to get used of them..Looks ok from outside the car but inside you really don't notice them as much.Some of the features i like the tire monitoring is nice but on mine it has a 2 pound split between my tire gauge and the actual reading on the system If I read 30lbs on the sys. on the tire gauge it's 32lbs..that's ok but it took me awhile to figure it out.I tried a few gauges and even purched a high end gauge which was calibrated

I like the dial indicator gauges to check tire pressure.Not sure about on star became standard but I have it in the 01. It's a nice safety feature if you need it.I mostly use a cell phone but it's nice to call using the onstar system but it costs more than the cell phone.I hav a few months left on my onstar account Not sure if I'll renew it.

I really like the turn signals in the mirrors. I followed my wife in our Seville to the Enterprise store today to return the rental and our Caddy looked nekkid without them. :)

I also like the LED taillights. I've seen LEDs that are designed with the 1156 and 1157 sockets, so you can replace your standard taillight bulbs with small LEDs. I haven't seen them recently though. I thought about trying them, but never have. I'm excited for Arnott to get their passive struts ready for the '97 models. Driving a new car with tight front suspension made me really want to fix the front struts and mounts on mine.

Oh...one other thing...my '97 is TORQUE-STEER city compared to the '04 Deville. :)

Hi Jason

The new ones also have a lot of torque steer if you get the rpm's up to say 5k and nail it you can really feel it say in second running a 5k rpm and do a wot it sure is there if you just keep it in drive and do a wot it's not very bad you don't notice it.

Cheers

Jim

It must be the newer suspension design or something. On the older ones, you get it everywhere. WOT off a stop light, it seems the front of the car twitches back and forth as the wheels scramble for traction. All the way through first gear. It's a rush.

...I've seen LEDs that are designed with the 1156 and 1157 sockets, so you can replace your standard taillight bulbs with small LEDs. I haven't seen them recently though. I thought about trying them, but never have

If you go to JamStrait.com there is information and pricing, etc. I understand the LED 1156 & 1157's are for cars with clear taillight covers. I want them for the chance to keep from getting rear-ended with the faster bulb response time. My concern is not to stick out in traffic when I may be speeding, etc.

These bulbs are available at Autozone...16.99 ea....will nearly last forever...there is also a 194 replacement LED for any bulb that style...more on web site.

Downside...what kept me from doing it on a 300m...didn't want these LED's labled SuperBright to make me stand out...

If someone else has tried them, let us know...

A few weeks back when my STS was having the leaky trunk repaired I was give a 04 Deville as a loaner. Pretty nice car. After driving it I realized how much larger it was inside as compared to the Seville.

One thing though, I did miss the instrument panel of my STS. I relly like that.

Otherwise ... nice cars!

Jim White

Posted on Feb 26 2004, 12:40 PM

QUOTE (jadcock @ Feb 26 2004, 10:03 AM)

...I've seen LEDs that are designed with the 1156 and 1157 sockets, so you can replace your standard taillight bulbs with small LEDs. I haven't seen them recently though. I thought about trying them, but never have

If you go to JamStrait.com there is information and pricing, etc. I understand the LED 1156 & 1157's are for cars with clear taillight covers. I want them for the chance to keep from getting rear-ended with the faster bulb response time. My concern is not to stick out in traffic when I may be speeding, etc.

These bulbs are available at Autozone...16.99 ea....will nearly last forever...there is also a 194 replacement LED for any bulb that style...more on web site.

Downside...what kept me from doing it on a 300m...didn't want these LED's labled SuperBright to make me stand out...

If someone else has tried them, let us know...

I have played with LED bulbs in the rear lamps of a '98 STS. Glad to share what I learned with the help of other's expertise.

Probably deserves a fresh thread. Interest????

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have played with LED bulbs in the rear lamps of a '98 STS. Glad to share what I learned with the help of John Sundeen's expertise.

Probably deserves a fresh thread. Interest????

Yes -- start a new thread and let us know what it was like! Thanks,

You know the wipers are that way so that you can swing them up and out of the way when cleaning the windshield and to prevent them from freezing to the windshield...??? Flip the wipers up at 90 degrees and they will park there away from the windshield. Much more functional. The design changed for a reason. In the winter it is pretty common around here to see people flip the wipers up when they go into work when a snow or ice storm is happening/anticipated so as to make the windshield easier to clean in the afternoon and so the wipers are not stuck in the ice later... Try it , you'll like it.

Ya, I do that all the time with my Nissan truck. The downside is, I have to look at them all the time. On my truck I don't really care, but I prefer a "cleaner" look on my luxury car. I personally would much rather trudge through the few months of winter cleaning the wipers than have to look at them for the other three seasons of the year. When my Seville used to be exposed to the snow and ice, I'd just park the wipers in the up position, and scrape/clean/tap them clean when I got out of work before I turned the car on. It took 2 minutes and it was a compromise I was happy to make. Oh well...I guess the northern customers have won out this time. :)

I also like the clean look of hidden wipers but they have drawbacks in the winter.

There have been a few mornings in the winter I had to open up the hood and take a bucket of hot water to get a block of ice out of the cowl area.The wipers were a solid block of ice sitting under the hood.Also in a few heavy snow storms it would pack the snow down under the hood and the wipers will not go down. All in all I don't mind the being not hidden under the hood. when sitting in the car you still can see the hidden ones anyway. One time I was at the dealer and during a heavy snow strom they service dept. was getting a lot of calls out the wipers getting stuck with the hidden wipers.I asked the service writer and he told me evey time it snows hard the phone rings off the hook..on these.

Jim

when sitting in the car you still can see the hidden ones anyway.

On whose car? Maybe they weren't parked correctly. On my '84 Cutlass, and on my '97 Seville, the wipers park very nicely under the lip of the hood and you really can't even tell they're there, even with a quick glance from the outside. But you sure can't see them from the inside, and that's what I like about them so much. :)

Cheers,

I absolutely agree regarding the hiddin wipers. On a luxury car, you don't need to be looking at them.

I also agree strongly about the turn signal switch and high beam switch. This should have been done a while ago, as it is superior design architecture.

Jadcock,

What are you talking about torque steer? I have a '97 SLS and have never noticed the slightest bit of TS. Do you have a high flow exhaust and more HP than I have? How are you getting TS? I don't understand why my car would be that much different than yours, unless you've modified yours.

Also, we may be coming from different perceptions of TS. I used to have an '86 GTI that would put you into a parked car if you weren't holding the steering wheel w/both hands. The caddy's TS is so mild compared to that, that I don't even pay any attention to it at all. Its' also much much less than the '02 Maxima that I rented.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

I have played with LED bulbs in the rear lamps of a '98 STS.  Glad to share what I learned with the help of John Sundeen's expertise.

Probably deserves a fresh thread.  Interest????

Yes -- start a new thread and let us know what it was like! Thanks,

Should have the details written up by Sunday or Monday (2/29 or 3/1).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

How are you getting TS?

With quick and swift action of the right-hand foot pedal! :) It almost always pulls to the left, but not always. It's probably a function of how crowned the road is, where the available traction is, etc. My car is bone stock, powertrain-wise. Struts are original, but I don't think that would contribute to the torque steer that much. I understand it was very "bad" (or good, depending on your style) in the early Sevilles, and was toned down some with suspension changes in the later ones. With the new structure starting in 1998, I understand it was even less. That seems to coincide with my experience, although I haven't driven an early Northstar Seville, so I don't know about the earlier ones.

After having a few days back in the Seville, it feels like there's a 50 hp difference between my '97 and the '04 Deville. I remember making a comparison between a Mustang we used to have and the Seville we have now as "primal vs. civilized". I can make that very same comparison between our Seville and that Deville. The SLS feels like a race car after getting out of that Deville. And so it should probably. I bet the Deville has 500 lbs. on my car, plus it's on a much more refined chassis. My SLS does pretty consistent 6.6-6.8 0-60 runs according to the Gtech Pro. It's no race car by many standards, but it's on the quick side of the instrumented tests I've seen on SLSes (ranging from 6.7 to 7.3 seconds to 60, average 7.0). I ran dead even with a late '90s GTP one time, and those are suppsed to do 6.6 second 0-60 runs. If we both didn't end the race shortly after we hit the speed limit (60 mph), I understand from folks here that the Northstar would've really taken over and walked away from it.

Archived