CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tranny Shifting Problems

barberben

I need help with my 1992 Seville STS. 153,000 Miles. 4.9

My transmission won't shift into 1st or 4th gears. All of the research that I've done seems to lean toward the shift solenoid(s), but from what I've read, I should be able to shift the tranny manually even if they were defective. But wait there's more, and here's where it gets weird.

It only mis-shifts after I've driven it for a while. (between 5 and 15 minutes). Whenever I go out in the morning to go to work, the car goes into 1st just fine and shifts very smoothly all the way through the gears and goes into overdrive just perfectly. If I have to slow to a stop, the car will only drop to 2nd gear then only go to 3rd. There is nothing in the 2nd to 3rd shift that indicates that anything is wrong. It is just as smooth as ever.

I had the transmission flushed and filter changed last Monday, and it ran perfectly until Saturday. It has since gone back to the bad shifting except when it has sat for at least 2 1/2 hours.

I have checked the codes and the only one I have seen is E085, which I believe is a code for the TPS or Throttle position sensor.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Is it the Solenoids? Could it be the Torque Converter? Do I just need to find a tranny? This vehicle is in very good condition with the exception of the front struts, so If it can be repaired reasonably I would like to do it.

I need help with my 1992 Seville STS. 153,000 Miles. 4.9

My transmission won't shift into 1st or 4th gears. All of the research that I've done seems to lean toward the shift solenoid(s), but from what I've read, I should be able to shift the tranny manually even if they were defective. But wait there's more, and here's where it gets weird.

It only mis-shifts after I've driven it for a while. (between 5 and 15 minutes). Whenever I go out in the morning to go to work, the car goes into 1st just fine and shifts very smoothly all the way through the gears and goes into overdrive just perfectly. If I have to slow to a stop, the car will only drop to 2nd gear then only go to 3rd. There is nothing in the 2nd to 3rd shift that indicates that anything is wrong. It is just as smooth as ever.

I had the transmission flushed and filter changed last Monday, and it ran perfectly until Saturday. It has since gone back to the bad shifting except when it has sat for at least 2 1/2 hours.

I have checked the codes and the only one I have seen is E085, which I believe is a code for the TPS or Throttle position sensor.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Is it the Solenoids? Could it be the Torque Converter? Do I just need to find a tranny? This vehicle is in very good condition with the exception of the front struts, so If it can be repaired reasonably I would like to do it.

Is not it remarkable? The second post within a week reporting problems after tranny was flushed. The tranny flush is a known NO-NO.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Adallac, you beat me to it and took the words right out of my mouth. Take it back to the guys that flushed it, but I woould bet they are going to tell you it was on it's last legs and was going to fail anyway. I'll also bet they will be happy to overhaul it for you.

NO!!!

I should've been more clear. It was doing all of this BEFORE I had the tranny flushed. I was warned that a flushing may mess up something else, but I elected to do it anyway. The flushing actually helped for about a week.

NO!!!

I should've been more clear. It was doing all of this BEFORE I had the tranny flushed. I was warned that a flushing may mess up something else, but I elected to do it anyway. The flushing actually helped for about a week.

I feel better now. :D So, what's the next? Weekly tranny flush? :lol: Lookes like it acts up when it warms up. Is the auxiliar transmission radiator as well as the part of the main radiator behinde the latter clean and nice? It is between the grill and the main radiator on the driver side. Hopefully your tranyy is not in that bad shape and will cure itself.

E085 - Throttle Body Service Required. Take of the air cleaner and clean the Throttle Body (do not flush!) with carb. cleaner and a toothbrush. Pay attention to the bores and backs sides of the blades. There are two tubes in the bottom , clean them up with a stif wire. Those are EGR tubes.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived