CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rainsense Wiper System

Has anyone played around with the rain sensor that mounts on the windshield next to the rearview mirror? I had my windshield replace last week and now my sensor doesn't want to stay "Glued" to the windshield. Did anyone have any luck with reattaching this module? Is this clear gel type of glue available from GM?

Ken,

If you had a regular glass shop install your windshield, I would take it back to them & have them fix it. You already paid for the service. The fact that it had a factory installed option on the original windshield, reinstallation should be part of the replacement process.

I personally haven't dealt with a Rainsense system, so I can't advise you on what to use. Possibly the same glue that they use for rearview mirrors.

Failing all else, I would be positive what to use before I ruined the sensor.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

Has anyone played around with the rain sensor that mounts on the windshield next to the rearview mirror? I had my windshield replace last week and now my sensor doesn't want to stay "Glued" to the windshield. Did anyone have any luck with reattaching this module? Is this clear gel type of glue available from GM?

Ken,

Ask a GM parts dealer there is a GM product specific for that. Ill see if I find it.

There is a GM part number for the adhesive and the glass installer should know about it. No other product will work.

Make them fix it....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I recall Guru saying you MUST use the GM adhesive. Nothing else works. Other adhesive will keep it on the windshield but the rain sense won't work properly.

Ken,

The following GM service part number is for a kit that contains the parts necessary to clean and re-mount the rain sensor on the new windshield for a '97 Seville.

25645365 (Dealer list price: $59.43)

The GM service manual describes how to use this kit to remove the sensor from the old windshield, remove the old adhesive from the sensor, apply new adhesive to it, and install it on the new windhsield. (I suspect that the same instructions are included in the service kit, but that may not be the case.) It seems to be a rather complicated process. Keeping that in mind, you may want to have a Cadillac dealer perform the work, or have them refer you to a glass installer that they use and trust. Even though the glass installer that you used before should be trained properly and have the necessary materials to do this job, if he did not do the job properly the first time, why give him another chance to botch it? Then again, maybe it was just an honest mistake or a one-time fluke, and it will be repaired properly. In either case, the information above should be of use to you.

Good luck!

Archived