CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Whining noise from under the hood

adallak

I have been hearing for a few months a whine coming from the engine compartment only when the car moves. It changes as RPM change and very well audible while driving slowly around the city. I do not think it is related to accessories since I do not hear anything while idling. I believe there are spinning parts in the transmission (turbine, pump) which could be involved... Anybody with similar experience? The ATF and filter were recently replaced. The old fluid was slightly discolored and smelled a little bit burnt. The wine was there before ATF change.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I could be a lot of things, but what about the A/C pulley bearing. When the bearing in my Eldorado went bad it progressively became worse and difficult to pinpoint.

I could be a lot of things, but what about the A/C pulley bearing. When the bearing in my Eldorado went bad it progressively became worse and difficult to pinpoint.

I removed the belt and turnd all the pulleys manually, they were ok...

Have you ruled out the power steering pump? Or checked the ps fluid? They do get whiney on occasion......

Yes - the trans can do this too, but I'd start there.

The power stearing pump is one of suspects. The fluid is fine. I would change it, but it seams the previous owner put ATF in it and I do not know what to do - replace with ATF or with powersteering fluid. Is it ok if they mix?

I've always used ATF for power steering fluid - going back to my old gas station days in the 70's. No idea what Cadillac thinks about it or if things have changed, but it never caused me a problem. Of course now there's the rack, etc to worry about..............

Safe harbor at this point would probably be to replace whatever you can get out with Power Steering fluid.

I've always used ATF for power steering fluid - going back to my old gas station days in the 70's. No idea what Cadillac thinks about it or if things have changed, but it never caused me a problem. Of course now there's the rack, etc to worry about..............

Safe harbor at this point would probably be to replace whatever you can get out with Power Steering fluid.

Thanks, that's what I have been thinkig too.

I just went through the exact same thing....I replaced the power steering pump, the alternator, and finally found it was the idler pulley.

Life is too short to grow up!

I just went through the exact same thing....I replaced the power steering pump, the alternator, and finally found it was the idler pulley.

Could be a puley...but I hear the whine ONLY when car moves. It sounds like a bad hub bearing but it is not a hub. When I switch to neutral while moving the whine changes since the RPM changes. If it were a hub bearing the noise would not change since the speed remained the same. Definitely sounds like a bad bearing, but why I do not hear a whine while idling? :blink:

Did you take the serp belt off while the car was COLD and drive it around the block? That would eliminate the question as to whether or not its an accessory...

Driving around the block will not overheat the engine

Did you take the serp belt off while the car was COLD and drive it around the block? That would eliminate the question as to whether or not its an accessory...

Driving around the block will not overheat the engine

That's a good idea, Mike! I just took off the serp belt to clean it and the puleys up with alcohol and put it back <_ . well... the only thing made noise was generator. besides brush i heard something coming from bearings swishh.. src="http://www.caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/uploads/emoticons/default_mad.gif" alt=":angry:"> Still do not think it is related to the noise I have described. Perhaps I need to follow your advise and drive it in the morning without the serp belt. Steering would be hard though. Thanks.

If this helps, mine makes(made) a rubbing noise that varied in intensity and duration but mostly occurred at slow speeds, worse when turning... On my car it turned out to be the drive shafts were rubbing on something where they entered the tranny. Some generous application of High Temp grease and the problem is solved...

I would guess it’s not the belt as this would make noise moving or parked and you note that yours comes with vehicle movement

Grease up the shafts... This fix is free, easy to do, and according to my trusted Tranny Guy can't hurt anything

Good luck

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

If this helps, mine makes(made) a rubbing noise that varied in intensity and duration but mostly occurred at slow speeds, worse when turning... On my car it turned out to be the drive shafts were rubbing on something where they entered the tranny. Some generous application of High Temp grease and the problem is solved...

I would guess it’s not the belt as this would make noise moving or parked and you note that yours comes with vehicle movement

Grease up the shafts... This fix is free, easy to do, and according to my trusted Tranny Guy can't hurt anything

Good luck

OynxSTS,

Your description does not match the pattern since any noise made by shafts would be corellated to the speed of the car. Mine is definitely associated rather with RPM. I tried to switch to neutral while moving and the noise changed since RPM is higjer in neutral, but the speed of the car did not change, so I am afraid it is not shafts. It is something spinning (a bad bearing?) under the hood (engine, tranny?) when the car MOVES not idling.

Thanks anyway, any input is appreciated. The whine drives me crazy already :angry:

Archived