CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ac r12 to 134a

installed used compressor on a 1989 corvette bought conversion kit from auto zone they say the oils are compatable evacuated system to 28lbs which was allmy equiptment can do held vacuum for 15min no leaks charged system compressor ran great lines were cold air blew cold on inside checked pressure low side 35 high side 350 i think thats too high but the system is running great shoudnt it be more like 150 possably clogged orfice tube or what any suggestions

Did you flush the system to remove the R-12 mineral oil from the system?

Did you have a large fan blowing on the condenser when you took the pressures? If not, that would explain the 350# reading on the high side. Try misting the condenser with water from a garden hose and take the reading.

How much R-134a did you charge into the system and what was the specified quantity for R-12?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

22 oz plus 6oz oil i did not use fan on condensor it was a hot humid day just before thunderstorms we did not flush system old compressor had clutch problem only no bearing issues whats nice about these older cars a used compressor was only $35 kit was another $35 i think that the orfice tube should have been changed so that we could see if it really was clean or not by looking at orfice tube i think that would have told us weather or not to do the hole 9 yards are not at any rate it is blowing cold and the used compressor is working like it should i was just concerned about the high reading on the high side thanks

22 oz plus 6oz oil i did not use fan on condensor it was a hot humid day just before thunderstorms we did not flush system old compressor had clutch problem only no bearing issues whats nice about these older cars a used compressor was only $35 kit was another $35 i think that the orfice tube should have been changed so that we could see if it really was clean or not by looking at orfice tube i think that would have told us weather or not to do the hole 9 yards are not at any rate it is blowing cold and the used compressor is working like it should i was just concerned about the high reading on the high side thanks

A full charge of R-12 is 44ozs for that vehicle. You added 22oz R-134a which is half the R-12 charge. The high side pressure shouldn't be that high.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

if 44 oz is correct then it should take 37.9 oz of 134a .85x44 i only put in 24 2cans because the compressor was running smooth it was cooling nicely on the inside no frost on the lines lines were cold dryer was cold give me the days of the old site glass not enough 134a could that possably make the high side that high

Archived