CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I HAVE NO IDEA

Hello,

Good Folks,How are yalll this morning? Me im not so good cause my 92' STS is not responding very well to me at the moment. The problem started today on my way to take my girlfriend home, I hit the gas and the engine just revved up really high to like 5,6000 rpm's, so i let off the gas and slowley got back on it and she started rollin again. so i didn't think anything of it untill later on yesterday after I got of work and picked up my girlfriend, Going down oakwood ave, I hit the gas it revved up to 6,000 rpm's again really what it feels like it, is that the car is in neutral, but it wasnt, it was in drive the whole time,so i went straight home checked my tranny fluid, it was kind of low so i filled it back up,and test drove it, it drove fine for the most part, untill this morning about 4:30 i got off the highway and dropped off my friend at his house and i was on my way to take my brother home and it did the same thing again, but this time it would not shift out of 1st gear, i pretty much drove half way home in first gear, finally it started driving right again,does anyone know what this could be,i have an idea but i dont really wanna think about it (THE TRANNY) but i was told it could be a sener also, i was told by a friend that the mass airflow sensor could cause a problem like that cause he had the same problem in his navigator,but i dont know, to me personally it sounds like the tranny is slowly telling me that its over, i hope its something simple that is very easy to fix, BY THE WAY... 2 codes were displayed but i cant figure out what they mean, The codes are A048, And I022,i have the book but they are not in there but hopfully somebody in here can help me, thank yall lots..

Please Help Me

Daniel............ :(

Remove the air dukt and look into the throttle body. Is it clean? Do the blades move freely when you press and release the gas pedal? If there is carbon in TB bores the blades may stick and be responsible for the condition you described.

It never hurts to clean the bores of TB and the blades (particularly the back sides) with a toothbrush and carb cleaner. The EGR tubes in the bottom of throttle bottom should be cleaned with a wire too.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

It doesn't seems to me like trottle body problem (of course still good to check it just in case, problem can be combine of two or more problems). If that was a problem then why all these transmision problems and "feel like the car is in neutral". It looks like transmision clutch was not engaged .

Code A048 is "Very Low A/C Refrigerant Presure Condition (A/C Clutch)

Code I022 is "Panel Lamp Dimming Pot Circuit Problem"

Codes aren't related to the problem, but are they current or in history?

May it's something electrical, but in these cases computer should give a more codes. :unsure:

It's possible your ISC motor is maladjusted. Try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes (negative side to minimize sparks) and letting the system go through a relearn. If this still continues, its possible your ISC motor is hanging up, but lets see. It could be your tranny, also check your fluid and smell it to see if it is burned. Make sure your selector is fully in D. There is a closed throttle switch on the ISC that goes bad.

I am not sure but there may be a safety built into the computer so that when the idle goes HIGH like you experienced the tranny goes into that slip mode so you dont lose control of it and kill someone or yourself... I have seen this happen on my 91 when I had a high idle, so it may not be your tranny, it sounds more like the idle control out of kilter

When i checked the tranny fluid this morning it smelled like regular tranny fluid,no burnt smell,it was the normal color,those codes that i mentioned sometimes they are current, sometimes they are history at the time i checked them yesterday they were history,but i tell u what it really explains why my panal lights are always so dim,and when i went to get my ac serviced last year they told me that my commpressor shorted out, are you telling me that it might just be the ac clutch?

ohhh yeah, every time i drive my car and turn it off when i get to my destination, i hear noise commin from the isc motor,so i looked at it one day when i turned the car off and it looked like the screw part kept adjusting you know what i mean. well im going to try what yall told me to do and i will post my results..

Thanks Yall..

Daniel

OK the time is now 1:55 Pm Thursday afternoon, I just drove my cadillac and she drove fine shifted out on time and no loss of power, so my plan for today is i gotta be at work at 3:00 pm this afternoon so im gonna drive it to work and see how she does,hopefully she does good, I just checked the tranny fluid again and it was the normal color,and it smelled like tranny fluid,no burnt smell nothing,so im thinking if anything it might not be the tranny,i just read in the book that the isc does have a throttle switch,i checked the trouble codes and no ecm codes were displayed, if anyone has anymore ideas or suggestions please send em thanks,

Daniel.

ohhh yeah, every time i drive my car and turn it off when i get to my destination, i hear noise commin from the isc motor,so i looked at it one day when i turned the car off and it looked like the screw part kept adjusting you know what i mean. well im going to try what yall told me to do and i will post my results..

Here we go... if you hear noise coming from ISC motor you did not hear before - it is the time to replace it and hopefully it will fix the problem.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

CSSTS92, I had the same problem many years ago on my corvette w/350 Transmission, and no repair shop could troubleshoot it not even the chevy dealer. I had the trans and converter replaced to solve the problem. A few years later I found out that it turned out to be a bad torque converter. Exactly the same trouble that you are having, I would be driving along and all is normal, then all of a sudden the Rpm"s rises and the car feels like its in neutral when its in the drive position on trans. This would happen after the car had reached normal operating temp, and between five to ten miles of driving. Basically, it just happens and surprise the heck out of you. My vette did not have any computer controls, but displayed the same symptom as you are having. Best of luck.

WR

well I drove the caddy all day yesterday, shift points were on target no noises, no slips, she drove great,the thing is i wanna take it to a mechanic and get it put on the machine, so i can find out exactilly what is wrong with here, does anyone in here know where the plug is to hook it up to the scan tool? work with me i dont know exactly what everything is called, but im pretty sure that yall know what im talking about, i was told to to hook the car up you have to take the dashboard out, is this true.

Thanks

Daniel

Archived