CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Checl oil level warning

GaryG

We've read the owner's manual, and I've tried unsuccessfully to search this site for previous discussions, but the check oil level warning came on, I added the necessary oil, but every time we start the car, the warning comes back on. I push the reset button to the right of the dash display and it goes off, only to reappear the next time we start it. It's a 2000 STS. I'm sure it's easy, but I'm stumped. I believe this new website is great, but I'm still strugglilng with how to do an archive search. Thanks a million, guys!

Hey Garry

My caddy was quite a bit older but I would imagine that this didn't change too much. If you get the message to 'check oil level' it means that the sensor is detecting your approx. a quart low. This is part of the system check when you first start the car...the car checks all the fluids and reports back to you if anything is low...there is no need to reset it. The only thing to reset is the oil life meter, which counts back oil life from 100%, and when it get low enought it say to change oil soon. If your oil level is fine which you say it is that means that your oil level sensor is acting up. A fairly cheap fix enless you go to the dealership, which is unfortunatly what I did. I'm sure someone here can walk you through the repair if you're a do-it-yourslefer. If not I'm sure your regular mechanic will fix it at a resonable price. Anyways hope this helps

Mattd is right. The only reset is to add oil. If the oil level is on the dipstick you shouldn't get the warning. I tried doing a search and kept getting an error. Maybe I am doing something wrong because I am sure I have seen posts regarding this. I have never done it but as I recall it is very simple. Just unplug and remove the sensor from the side of the oil pan. Not sure of the location but I think it is in the front. I'm sure someone who has done it will give more details.

From the caddinfo.com how-to section:

This from a GM Tech Note. Sounds odd, as one might expect the

oil level monitor to automatically reset:

Cadillac DeVille, Seville and Eldorado for the 2000 model year have an oil level monitor on the 4.6L engine. A Check Oil Level message appears on the instrument panel when the oil level is approximately one quart low. Bringing the oil level to the full mark on the dipstick will not turn the message off; it must be done manually. Here’s how. Before the message can be reset, the oil level monitor must see a coolant temperature drop of 10°C (18°F). This may require allowing the vehicle to sit for up to 2 hours to allow the coolant temperature to drop. Coolant temperature can be confirmed with a scan tool. After the cooldown period, turn the ignition ON for at least one second, but do not crank the engine. Turn the ignition OFF and remove the key from the lock cylinder.

Reinstall the key and start the engine. Confirm that the oil level message is no longer displayed. This information will be included in future owner’s manuals.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hi

Just sharing my experience with the check oil light.

I had the check oil light come on last week on mine. I was 2 qts low on oil (01 deville) after I added 1qt. I started the car and the light was off,upon checking the oil and to get the oil level between the low and high marks on the dip stick with the engine warmed up and oil hot it actually took 2qts.of oil. I thought the check oil light does not supposed to come on unless the oil is actually 2 to 2.5 qts low on oil with the car on a level surface..this is for the 2000 and newer devilles.

Jim

Archived