CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Suspension help please

rockfangd

Hi All.

Last June I put new springs in the rear of my 1997 Seville. The original ones were getting bouncy and the rear was sagging.

I have given up with the air ride. It has been repaired too many times and I am tired of fixing it. 

The Springs I installed are AC Delco 19239608

When I replaced the springs they went well, but the rear suspension now sits high. I was hoping they would have settled but they still have not. I really would like to resolve the issue before I pull it out of storage for the spring. After all the work  I did I would hate to have to do them again. I will say for sure that the shocks have nothing to do with it. Even with the air shocks deflated it still looks jacked up. Suspension does have travel. Any insight I am all ears

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Hi Rock,

Your car is out of my league for models but you might give Summit racing a call and see if they have any information on your springs that may help. I saw your AC Delco part number in the AC Delco parts catalog on line but there are also some different numbers listed.

Good luck.

Dean. Babbitt

Tacoma, WA

• 3 months later...

Bump for any ideas on this.

I am so stumped. I deeply regret throwing out the old springs. I feel like my era have fallen off the face of the earth. Parts are so hard to find for these

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

Today I managed to take a measurement from the ground to the fender at each corner.

Front is 28" height 

Rear is 30".

I want to try to have a better look at it tomorrow to make sure the springs are seated properly. I am also going to check the FSM and see if it mentions what the trim height is supposed to be. I know it mentions the air ride, but this is not an air ride issue. 

GM FAN FOREVER

Well after all my useless research, time, and resources I gave up and decided to do it my way. I did one side yesterday and the other today. I cut one top rung off each spring and reassembled. It was just a hunch based on measurements and common sense.

It went together nicely. Ride height is just a little high empty but perfect with a regular load. Handling is substantially improved. Steering wheel is perfectly centered again. I actually had to readjust my seat and mirrors again as they were now too low.

I am going to be keeping an eye out for a used oem set but for now I can at least tolerate driving it. I was ready to sell the car. Parts are so hard to find. Parts say they fit but do not. I did thoroughly inspect my work before I decided to cut the springs. They were properly seated top and bottom. 

GM FAN FOREVER

• 4 weeks later...

Will take a pic.

Update is Good.

Ride is excellent. Body height is perfect now

GM FAN FOREVER