CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Problem seperating the engine and trans axle

I have a 97' northstar with a 4t80 attached to it I got for $100.  Low mile unit I was prepared to do unlawful things with in the dark until I couldn't get the two apart!  I've taken out all 4 bell housing bolts and any of the other bracket/brace bolts that I can see.  I even picked it up by the front with the tractor and nothing.  Like they were tight still.  What the hell am I missing?  Is there a diagram with all the hidden bolts that I'm obviously not seeing?  I can get pics if needed.  It's a low mile unit thats already been apart so I'm hoping the head studs have already been done but the plan was propane carb and twin turbos.  And a ignition driven off the back where the water pump is driven.  Sound dumb till you figure in I have the parts already and it'll still run upside down just like efi and I can cook hot dogs anywhere when I'm done.

I think '4 bolts' must be a misprint. There are 6. (green circles).

4 bolts hold the torque converter to the flywheel. (red circles).

IF....the torque converter bolts are not removed.....engine would have to move about a half foot away from mounting flange (yellow arrow direction) to disengage.  

4t80trans.JPG

Well, I thought you were right so I went out and checked and there's just the 4.  The middle two are dowels.  I found a few more brackets and bolts to undo but other than two ex. manifold bolts I've run out of things to take off.  Is there some cover under it?  I took off the one that goes under the crossover pipe and can't see anything else there either unless its way under where I can't see.  Top of the bellhousing should have shown signs of movement by now though.  I'll send some crappy pics so you can see the back but I'm baffled.  Also the converter bolts are all out.  Back to watching videos maybe cause even going down the list of things to remove that GM gives everyone, I don't see anything.  You know this will be one bolt somewhere stupid like right in front of me.