CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Performance mods for '01 SLS

clawdude

I'm brand to to this forum, and a first time Cadillac owner. I purchased a pre-owned 2001 SLS in October. I'm pretty happy with the performance, but would be interested to find out what kind of modifications could be made, and at what cost, to increase horsepower, thus hopefully increasing performance.

Where's a good place to start?

Simple equation....Increased airflow+increased outflow= more HP...

Get a good high flow air filter K&N or True Flo and change out exhaust..

Just putting a pair of high flow mufflers is much better than stock or you could go all out and replace the whole exhaust system.

Ditto with what Jazbo said. The Corsa and K&N cone filter setup added about 30-35hp to my 99STS, and it sounds great. The Corsa will cost you about $1,000, but it is stainless steel and has a lifetime warranty.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

The stock SS is not the best grade of stainless.

I think it's pretty dang good. Thick wall, mandrel bent, right from the factory. Mine's 7 years and 128k miles old and it still is flawless. And it's seen its share of winters (it started life in Northern Virginia). It looks a LOT better than other OEM systems I've seen.

Did yours rust out already? If well maintained (no damage), the OEM stainless system (including the mufflers) should WELL last 10 years or more, if you're inclined to keep it on that long. And I'd prefer to keep mine original as long as it lasts! :lol:

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The stock SS is not the best grade of stainless.

I think it's pretty dang good. Thick wall, mandrel bent, right from the factory. Mine's 7 years and 128k miles old and it still is flawless. And it's seen its share of winters (it started life in Northern Virginia). It looks a LOT better than other OEM systems I've seen.

Did yours rust out already? If well maintained (no damage), the OEM stainless system (including the mufflers) should WELL last 10 years or more, if you're inclined to keep it on that long. And I'd prefer to keep mine original as long as it lasts! :lol:

One of the biggest factors in exhaust life is how hot you get it. A :10 min drive to work in the winter will coat the inside with condensation and is sure death. I have a :45 drive and the exhaust gets well heated and condensation burned off. When I went to change the muffler on my last car ('92 Deville) at about 80-90k, just because I thought it was due, I was amazed when I removed the muffler and looked inside. It was still shiny! Just a very light soot coating. I welded it back on and it was still there when I traded it at 125k and 8 yrs old.

Yeah, the stock stainless will last a long time on many cars. I was just making a point that it can sometimes be a maintenance item - that's all.

It's really not the best stuff in the world of stainless. It's not exactly 304 or 316 SS.

No, mine didn't rust out. I heard the Corsa and there was no going back.

These forums are funny!

I have read about 5 different reports that both the K&N cone & the slide in K&N cost the car HP and about 2/10's in 0-60. Most however loved the sound of the cone and consider it a trade-off with the slower E/T's. Now I hear the cat-back exhaust can add some HP but most dyno reports show 5-12hp gain, not exactly worth a G-note. The 98+ do not have a chip nor does it look like they will ever have one made being this is last year of model. Most say the SLS & STS are pretty strung out from the factory being 300hp from a 4.6L and every mod makes very minimal HP gains. Most agree that the Mufflers are the best and coolest sounding mod. I may do it just for the sound with a nice set of flowmasters. A custom Turbo ro supercharger would be the best bet to the tune of probably $4k-5k. No2 is always a sure way to get major HP but a trigger happy finger will cos you a new engine and WARRANTY will laugh a you.

Archived