CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tint Removal

GOOB

Anybody got the solution on how to remove old stubborn tint? I was able to peel off what I guess was the top coat of film on the back window but the adhesive and the actual tint (i guess) are still on the window and know it looks worse than it did with the bubbles. is there some type of chemical I can use to break it down and wipe it off without damaging my rear defroster (my main concern)?

would paint stripper work

Use pure Amonia.

I removed my tint after I bought the car, as not only did i not like it, but it had turned purple.

The technique I used, based on an internet tuitorial, was to park the car in the sun, as the warmth is crucial in the break-down of the glue, and spray the Amonia onto the tint. After letting it soak, it just peels of all in one shot. In your case, the tint layer is already removed, so you just have to strip the glue. After wetting the glue with the Amonia, let it sit and heat up for a while, with the car baking in the sun. I taped a garbage bag around the inside of the each window as i did it, to create a "sauna" effect for the glue.

Be sure to cover up as much as the interior as you can, as the Amonia is strong stuff, and you don't want it anywhere alse but on the windows.

Good luck! I think I covered everything, but ask more questions if you like.

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

what about getting tint back on :lol: ?

I have a VERY small peice in one corner that has pulled up somewhat....no one notices it but me, but it still bothers me....is there something I can use to "glue" it back down so it doesn't get any worse?

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

The technique I used, based on an internet tuitorial, was to park the car in the sun,

thanks boss,

it's suppossed to rain this weekend so no sunshine for me. how about a hair dryer to the outside of the window?

The technique I used, based on an internet tuitorial, was to park the car in the sun,

thanks boss,

it's suppossed to rain this weekend so no sunshine for me. how about a hair dryer to the outside of the window?

Goob, I am about to made a reservation to come down to the Cavalier Hotel in June! We enjoy Virginia Beach, the water, Mahi Ma's, and the street performers at night! Mike

Goob, I am about to made a reservation to come down to the Cavalier Hotel in June! We enjoy Virginia Beach, the water, Mahi Ma's, and the street performers at night! Mike

should be great weather by then. enjoy! my house was FINALLY completed in february so i'm in chesapeake now...guess i should update my profile.

how about a hair dryer to the outside of the window?

Yeah, I suppose so. Heat is heat, right?

You'll have to really give 'er with that hair dryer though! :P lol

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

thanks boss,

Did you try using a hair dryer? I hear thats the teqnique to use!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Heat gun, hair dryer, sunlight, pure amonia, vinigar and water, razor blade (not on defroster), and dont forget to take your time on the rear window, nothing is worse than a non functional rear window defroster...well purple tint is maybe worse :P . All of these are kick *smurf* ideas.

what about getting tint back on  ?

I have a VERY small peice in one corner that has pulled up somewhat....no one notices it but me, but it still bothers me....is there something I can use to "glue" it back down so it doesn't get any worse?

-dave 

For trying to get it to stick, I would heat up the window from the outside with a heat gun and use a credit card or something flexible but hard to try to get it to attach itself again. Just my ideas... :P

Spence

...... but the adhesive and the actual tint (i guess) are still on the window

.....  is there some type of chemical I can use to break it down and wipe it off without damaging my rear defroster (my main concern)?

No on the paint stripper.

For wiping off the adhesive, use the black plastic bag method.

Cut it to match your window.

Spray on WINDEX, apply cut black plastic, and heat up from the outside.

The heat reactivates the glue, so you should be able to wipe it off. Be quick about it.

Might have to reactivate the glue more than once to get it all off.

Your mistake was peeling off the tint film totally dry.

It's gonna be messy and very time consuming without the film attached to pull it off.

With your user name being what it is I'd have to be hard pressed. I, however, do find it entertaining.

The definition of an enthusiast is "a person filled with enthusiasm" or " one who is ardently attached to a cause, object, or pursuit." Then there is my personal favorite "one who tends to become ardently absorbed in an interest." I would call the last one fanatic, bordering on unhealthy. I think I'd rather be an enthusiast as opposed to a fanatic.

CADS RULE DUDES! Alright Alright Alright...

Archived