CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

front end knocking....motor mount or stab links?

rsrxc700

95 Seville SLS 90K

I get a "ratcheting" knocking sound during acceleration, worse when turning and accelerating. Kind of like "DAT DAT DAT DAT DAT", as long as torque is applied. I also get some "bump steer" when I hit a pothole, the car wants to jump around.

I first thought that it may be time for stab links and bushings. I got under and did not find anything obviosly loose. Then I checked the motor mounts. the front "dog bone" mounts do have noticeable play. I brake-torqued and noticed quite a bit of movement of the engine assembly.

I realize there may be more than one problem.

Questions: Should there be any movement in the "dog-bone" mounts? How about the rear hydraulic mount, could not see/feel if it was loose.

Any advice welcome, I don't want to just start replacing expensive parts ($77 ea for stab links!)

Thanks!

You should be able to "jiggle" the front dog bones. Any more than this, and I think it's excessive. If you can see noticeable movement in the engine, I think you've got a mount that's gone bad. You should check them all out, the upper dogbones and the lower mounts too.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 2 years later...

95 Seville SLS 90K

I get a "ratcheting" knocking sound during acceleration, worse when turning and accelerating. Kind of like "DAT DAT DAT DAT DAT", as long as torque is applied. I also get some "bump steer" when I hit a pothole, the car wants to jump around.

I first thought that it may be time for stab links and bushings. I got under and did not find anything obviosly loose. Then I checked the motor mounts. the front "dog bone" mounts do have noticeable play. I brake-torqued and noticed quite a bit of movement of the engine assembly.

I realize there may be more than one problem.

Questions: Should there be any movement in the "dog-bone" mounts? How about the rear hydraulic mount, could not see/feel if it was loose.

Any advice welcome, I don't want to just start replacing expensive parts ($77 ea for stab links!)

Thanks!

You can remove the links and take for a drive around the block - I did this in my 93 Seville - if the noise stops it's the links. But the links really only make a knocking noise while going over rough ground. The noise you are describing sounds more like drive train noise. CV Joints? does it get worse while turning left or right?

Open the hood, switch to R or D, and press gas pedal with your left foot on brake pedal firmly (so called power braking). Watch the engine for excessive movement.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived