CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1996 Deville... CVRSS error codes persist after every attempt at damper solenoid bypass. Any advice?

Hello all!

I am having no success in eliminating the dreaded 'SRC' message on a 1996 Deville (BASE, 4.6-vin y, F41,F45). The original rears were replaced with a set of passive air shocks by the previous owner, the compressor functions and the car adjusts as it should, no problems there. However, the "kit" resistors that appear to have been included for the damper error message cancellation, never functioned correctly and the car would throw rss codes related to the rear, in particular RSS0021, RSS0022, RSS0025, RSS0026 (S021, S022, S025, S026 for all you non-1996 owners reading this) which are short to ground, and open circuit warnings for each rear damper. These codes flip flop between short/open roughly every other time the error shows up. Removing the kit resistors showed open circuit msg's for both rears when the system attempted to engage. Occasionally when driving the SRC msg will display, then turn off after 5 min or so of driving, some trips it never comes on, sometimes it's on at startup. Either way it's getting really annoying.

I checked the value of the kit resistors, and they were 2 ohm. Following advice from this forum and others, I tried 4.7k (yes thousand) ohm resistors, to no avail. Several other values, loads and combinations of electrical small components have yielded the same results, which is the error codes remain. Yep, even tried fuel injectors....... My theory is that the CVRSS module detects voltage draw and spikes from the coil moving/returning whatever the mechanical portion of the damper was, but some forum posts say it's PWM driven vs a MOSFET/whatever, so I really can't tell without riding in the trunk with a meter, which isn't going to happen....

I have dropped the electric center in the trunk and checked the specific wires leading to the rear damper solenoids, no short to ground on +, no continuity between +/- damper leads. The OE rear shocks and their solenoids were not included with the car, and the front dampers show 12.7 ohm across the terminals. Replicating this value for the rear does nothing.

I went to find a junkyard with the hope of finding a set of rear shocks/solenoids, which only yielded in my returning with some sort of error eliminator from a 1997 car, which did nothing for my 1996. My guess is that the 1997+ cars use a different method to check the solenoids.

The relay method for eliminating the system from 94-5 cars does not apply to the 1996, so I'm SOL on that option. Coding out the RSS from the IC doesn't appear to be an option either, as the 1996 OBD2 cluster does not have the possible value combinations (as far as I can tell?).

As of yet. Nothing has eliminated the msg and underlying fault being detected by the CVRSS module, and as I have no idea how the unit itself checks the dampers, I can't duplicate a what it needs to see.

Has anyone been through this with a 1996 BASE DeVille?

Can the RSS error messages be removed from the IC with a tech2 and programming, or is this just another dead end/urban legend? Did someone find some combination of parts that actually functions to eliminate the codes?

Thanks in advance for any replies, and sorry if I'm leaving out anything, I have been fighting the SRC msg for 8 months. Yikes... 😞

Edited by Houdoxi71
Deleted duplicate line.

• 8 months later...

11 hours ago, Terrence Mayes said:

I'm having the same problem.  I don't think anyone knows the fix.

Post your CODES regarding your issue.  All I have seen you do is ask questions in VERY old threads of members that we have not seen in years.  

I had a 96 Deville.

Post your suspension codes in a new thread

@Terrence Mayes

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm