CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

VERY WEIRD keyless entry issues

davedog

OK, first some general information. I have a 1992 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coup with 74k. It has the stock keyless entry system. The keyfobs have the following buttons:

Unlock

Lock

Trunk Open

Interior Lights

Here's what's been happening latley. Every now and then the keyfob simply won't work, none of the buttons what so ever. Even if I'm standing right beside the car. Then later, maybe even five minutes later it will work fine. Originally I was thinking it was the battery, or the keyfob wearing out. So yesterday I started carrying my spare keyfob as well as the one I normally use, waiting for the next time I had issues. I didn't have to wait very long at all. This morning I tried to unloack my car. Nothing. So I get out my spare keyfob, and try again....nothing again! No keys on either keyfob are fuctional. So I manually unlock the drivers side door and open it, and just for the heck of it, I hit the unlock button, and it WORKS, infact now all the buttons on both keyfobs work fine. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE? So I'm pertty sure it's not the keyfob, but where does that leave me? :blink:

THANKS GUYS!

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

davedog,

what did you drink that night?

I dunno adallak, but for some reason now my car looks GREEN. Oh that's right....that's because IT IS GREEN....lol

:lol::lol::lol:

-dave B)

P.S. History: adallak thinks my car is black :rolleyes:

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I had an intermittent problem with my transmitter. I used a small amount electrolytic grease on the battery contacts inside the remote. It's worked fine ever since. When the doors are not working does the trunk open and lights still work?

I just reread your post and you stated that when this happens none of the buttons functions were working...

In a word "Security"...

When the car's keyfob antenna receives an illegal keyfob code attempt, it will revert to a "timed safe" mode. All further keyfob transmissions are locked out for about 3-minutes. This first-line security is similar to what happens the resister pellet is not sensed in the ignition key.

If the system detects another illegal keyfob transmission after the initial time-out, it locks out all reception until the system is reset-manually with the door lock key itself.

GOTCHA DAVE :lol:

Just kidding actually, but I thought you might enjoy a nice story anyway...

BTFOM what going on (but then I again - I could be right) :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived