CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Second Starter in 1 month 98 ETC 70k miles

coolnesss

I had my 98 ETC starter replaced a month ago when it would not turn over the engine. There were no symptoms it was going to crap out - just one day stopped working, at 70k miles. The mechanic put in a new Delco starter.

Last night, I had the same experience. 13 volts of electricity, but the starter did not work. This morning we tried to jump it; no movement. Its dead.

Is there some funniness to this, or are defective starters coming into vogue?

My mechanic is very honest, but not the smartest - so, if there's something to know that might avoid him having to replace the thing, I'd like to know.

THANKS.

Try to start in Neutral. Sometimes the neutral safety switch gets misadjusted and you cannot start. If it works there is an easy procedure to adjust it. If it fails just replace the switch, it is easily accessible.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Have you checked your car:

1- Battery terminals. If the battery terminals are not secured, you may get the right volatage but you will not get enough current to start the starter.

2- Starter ground wire connection. If you have poor ground wire or connection, you will not get enough current to the starter.

3- Your alternator condition. If it is not charging properly it would provide low current to the battery, which will weaken the battery such that it cannot provide enough current to start the car.

Was it a rebuilt starter, if it was I would not be surprised if it was bad. Its not a trend, its got to do with how good the rebuilder is. I would only use an AC Delco new or rebuilt unit. Check your battery cables as mentioned that is the first thing you should do, especially check the positive cable

Ill give you a short story here. My cousin lives in Virginia and has a 96 Seville SLS. She had the same problem you have. Her mechanic immediately told her she needed a starter. She called me. I said, clean the positive battery cable thoroughly, take it apart, watch how it comes apart and clean it with battery terminal cleaner. She did it, and the car started immediately. If you state that your mechanic is not too bright, consider that he was parts CHANGING a month ago, and it did not start after he replaced it, and ALL he did was tighten the battery connection when the connection needed cleaning! (like my cousins husband did, a month before she was told she needed a starter). These cars are notorious for needing the positive cable cleaned if they are dirty expect trouble.

Yes, all checks out. Except the starter is not working. Any clues?

What does this mean, did you remove the negative and positive cables and look them over, take the RED rubber insulator off the positive cable and look it over for corrosion. ALWAYS remove the negative terminal first for safety and to reduce sparking.

Archived