CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hey peoples, I have the 2008 CTS 3.6L DI with 60K miles that runs beautifully (for now) but I here there is a lot of PCV breather issues and oil consumption carbon problems on this particular motor, is there anyone out there that has done the PCV breather modification with a so called catchcan?. Any advice for preventative measures on all this would be appreciated as I plan to keep this car till the wheels fall off...Thank you :-)

I don't think anyone here has done one. Lots of DIY info and kits on Google. 

Newer engines using GDI (gasoline direct injection) have a huge problem with carbon build up on the intake valves. The injectors are no longer there to wash off the build up. Servicing requires that walnut shells be blasted onto the backside of the intake valves to remove the build up. A costly repair. 

Sometimes....reprogramming the PCM can address some of the issue. 

A partial solution to the problem is to install a PVC catch can to keep the PVC floating oil mist off the intake valves....hence reducing carbon build up on the valves in the first place. 

pvccatchcan.JPG

Yikes thank you for the information, darn I may have to reluctantly do all this now :-(,, ha!..Yes I do have the 3.6 Direct Injection or GDI and everything you said seems to be true from all I've heard up till now. I'm surprised Cadillac would design something like this knowing of this situation, It's like having the horse push the carriage, pretty common sense.. I heard oils with low Noack like Amsoil have less burning vapors and keep things cleaner, who knows maybe I'll look into it.. My manual says Mobil 1 5w-30 only and that's all I'm doing for now. Do you think synthetic  oil changes every 3k miles and Seafoam or gas cleaner in the gas regularly will ward off these problem longer?? It only has 60k miles on it and it runs perfect, I hate to start tearing into it but I'm all about preventative to..;-/

Pretty sure the 3.6L engine is a corporate GM engine. We have the same engine in a 2009 Traverse. 

The direct injection provides better performance and emissions. It's not just GM vehicles....pretty much everyone now has some GDI engines. It's not going away. 

Anyway....I have several GDI engines here....I haven't noticed a big problem with build up on the valves. Using conventional non-synthetic oil in those cars.  

I'm not too worried about it...we'll see how it goes..

It's a good problem to have...for Amsoil and companies that sell PVC catch cans to pitch.

Your right GDI is everywhere.. Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid and should just enjoy the car as it's perfect right now anyways.. If you read to much into other peoples problems you kind of take them on as your own. Reading to much info can screw you up!!. I'l just change my oil regularly and do everything I can  to keep it clean and that's all I can do its in gods hands ha,, and when and if something breaks I'll deal with it then..

Archived