CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I've read and watched about 100 different things, and they are all different. 

I have a '98 STS, the cross bracing on top of rad is welded. Is there a way to get the alternator out of the bottom? Or do I actually have to remove radiator and all to get this thing out with my certain model? I can't find my exact model anywhere... And as I said, no 2 descriptions seem to be the same.  I got the alternator with I guess it has water cooling lines going to it?

If anyone knows exactly about this year/model please help!

The generator will not come out the bottom. :(

The radiator MUST come out and are not that difficult to remove. Remove the hood latch bracket. There are 2 top radiator brackets and 2 transmission cooler lines, the cooling fan assy and if you have the water cooled generator you will have an inlet and outlet coolant hose and the upper and lower radiator hoses. Yes, the cross brace is over the top of the radiator but the radiator tilts toward the windshield  and comes out .

Also, remove the engine and trans mount nuts at the cradle and jack up the engine (closest to the radiator) a few inches so the engine tilts back towards the windshield. The FSM states to also remove the A/C condenser BUT you can remove the condenser mounts and it should allow enough room to remove the generator. You can have the A/C evacuated and remove the condenser and then have the A/C recharged when you're all done. Nothing wrong with removing the condenser, it does provide a LOT more room to work and may prevent you from damaging something and learning a few new "words".

If you decide not to remove the condenser, I suggest getting a piece of 1/4" plywood and cutting about a 24"X24" piece to lay up against the A/C condenser to avoid damaging the condenser from an out of control generator.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

4 hours ago, OldCadTech said:

The generator will not come out the bottom. :(

The radiator MUST come out and are not that difficult to remove. Remove the hood latch bracket. There are 2 top radiator brackets and 2 transmission cooler lines, the cooling fan assy and if you have the water cooled generator you will have an inlet and outlet coolant hose and the upper and lower radiator hoses. Yes, the cross brace is over the top of the radiator but the radiator tilts toward the windshield  and comes out .

Also, remove the engine and trans mount nuts at the cradle and jack up the engine (closest to the radiator) a few inches so the engine tilts back towards the windshield. The FSM states to also remove the A/C condenser BUT you can remove the condenser mounts and it should allow enough room to remove the generator. You can have the A/C evacuated and remove the condenser and then have the A/C recharged when you're all done. Nothing wrong with removing the condenser, it does provide a LOT more room to work and may prevent you from damaging something and learning a few new "words".

If you decide not to remove the condenser, I suggest getting a piece of 1/4" plywood and cutting about a 24"X24" piece to lay up against the A/C condenser to avoid damaging the condenser from an out of control generator.

Dang. That's the worst news I've had all day. But I figured as much just getting under it and looking. Thanks for the tips I'll try to do without the condenser removal simply because that would be another cost on top of what's already a questionable repair job for this old car. She better last me a while longer after I get this done. Wish me luck. 

They dont have the access plate anymore on the newer body style?

I know the eldo did til 02

The Deville did til 99

But the seville body changed drastically in 98. Same engine though

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Not on the 98, I guess they didn't want the generator falling out and hurting someone.

I remember them on the Devilles, but I can't remember when they plugged the hole on the Seville.

The FSM only shows the liquid cooled generator but mine doesn't have the liquid cooling, unless someone pulled it...

Haven't looked at the 02 that close though.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Archived